Saturday, November 27, 2010

FRANCE

The Biarritz Lighthouse is nonetheless one of the most remarkable of French coastline. It is one of the lighthouses designed by Augustin Fresnel himself: the construction of the tower began in 1830 and not completed until 1834. The 47 m (154 ft) masonry tower rises from the center of a 2-story octagonal keeper's house. It is located at the end of the Avenue de l'Impératrice, on the promontory of Cap Hainsart, on the north side of the resort city of Biarritz, in south-western France. After climbing a spiral staircase of 248 steps you reach the upper deck and have a breathtaking view of the Atlantic on one side and the Pyrénées mountains on the other.

GERMANY

The Kiel-Holtenau Lighthouse is located at the end of the Thiessenkai, the quay on the north side of the Kiel Canal (Nord-Ostsee-Kanal), the busiest artificial waterway in the world, in Holtenau, about 12 km (7.5 mi) north of Kiel. The 20 m (66 ft) round cylindrical brick tower with lantern and gallery rising from the front of a 2-story brick Imperial-style building was built in 1895. The building includes a memorial hall, the Drei-Kaiser-Gedächtnishalle, in remembrance of Kaisers Wilhelm I, who inaugurated construction of the canal in 1887; Friedrich III, who turned the first shovel of dirt here in 1888, and Wilhelm II, who laid the cornerstone of the lighthouse in 1895. It also houses a registrar's office where weddings are performed.

SOUTH AFRICA

Cape Agulhas Lighthouse is South Africa's third oldest light station and second oldest surviving lighthouse (after Green Point). First lit on March 1st, 1849, its design is modeled on the original Egyptian Pharos of Alexandria. It is a 27 m (89 ft) sandstone tower painted white with two red horizontal bands, rising through the center of a 1-story keeper's house.
The lighthouse marks the geographic southernmost point of Africa and the junction of the Atlantic Ocean (cold Benguela Current) and Indian Ocean (warm Agullhas Current). When seafaring Portuguese vessels rounded this cape tip in the 15th century their compass needles would swing unable to determine True North from Magnetic North. As a result, in 1488 the Portuguese navigator, Bartolomeu Dias, name this ocean site “Cabo das Agulhas” (Cape of Needles).
This historic lighthouse was deactivated in 1968 when deterioration of the sandstone walls made the tower appear unsafe. Twenty years of public effort led by the Bredasdorp Shipwreck Museum secured a complete restoration and reactivation in 1988. Today the keeper's house includes the only lighthouse museum in South Africa and a restaurant.

SPAIN

Maspalomas Lighthouse is located in the Punta de Maspalomas, at the southern tip of the Isla de Gran Canaria, Spain and is one of the island's best known tourist attractions. It is the third highest lighthouse in Spain: a 56 m (184 ft) round stone tower attached to one corner of a 2-story keeper's house. The decision to build a lighthouse on the southern coast of the island was taken in 1861. Construction lasted 28 years and the lighthouse lamp was lit on February 1st, 1890. The lighthouse, at the end of the beach of Maspalomas, is surrounded by an area of sand dunes interspersed with wetlands in a protected nature reserve.

Monday, November 8, 2010

ESTONIA

This is presently the world's best known leaning lighthouse: the Kiipsaare Lighthouse located on the Harilaid peninsula, on the northwestern coast of Saaremaa Island, Estonia. The 25 m (82 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower, painted with black and white horizontal bands was built in 1933. Originally it was placed 25 meters from the coastline but endangered by beach erosion, the lighthouse stands now at the water's edge. The lighthouse is located at the Vilsandi National Park, a nature reserve on the Estonian island and it is possible to park the car at the entrance of the park and walk the remaining 5 km to the tower. Visit it soon, because it seems very likely the tower will collapse within a few years at most.

ENGLAND

This postcard brings lighthouses of the southwestern peninsula of England in the county of Cornwall. The northern coast of the peninsula faces the Atlantic Ocean while the south coast faces the English Channel. This region includes many of the most famous English lighthouses. Land's End is the extreme south-westerly point of the British mainland, and the extreme westerly point of the mainland of England.
Longships Lighthouse is the round granite tower with a helipad on the top, swept by waves. It is located on Carn Bras, the largest of the Longships Rocks, about 1.5 km (1 mi) west of Land's End.
The next tower in the counterclockwise is Pendeen Lighthouse, a white concrete-clad rubblestone tower located on the promontory called Pendeen Watch, about 2 km (1.2 mi) north of Pendeen.
Trevose Head Lighthouse is the 26.5 m (87 ft) white brick tower attached to two 1-story keeper's houses located about 8 km (5 mi) northwest of Padstow. Trevose Head is a peninsula at the northwestern tip of Cornwall.
Godrevy Island is situated at the northeastern entrance to St. Ives's Bay where rugged cliffs rise from the sea. The white octagonal tower in the center of the island inspired the author Virginia Wolff to write her famous novel The Lighthouse (1927).

CURAÇAO

Curaçao is an island off the coast of Venezuela in the southern Caribbean Sea. It is the central and largest of the so-called ABC Islands (Aruba, Bonaire, and Curaçao). The island is about 65 km (40 mi) long but only 5-13 km (3-8 mi) in width; it has a permanent population of about 140,000. Klein Curaçao is a 1.7 km2 uninhabited island south-east of Curaçao and the light station buildings are the only structures on the barren island. Built in 1850, the 20 m (66 ft) round masonry tower is connected to two ruined 2-story keepers’ houses. Previously abandoned and still endangered, this historic lighthouse was nonetheless reactivated with a solar-powered LED beacon in the restoration of Curaçao's aids to navigation.

POLAND

The Stilo Lighthouse is located atop a hill (45 m above sea level) about 800 m (1/2 mi) from the seashore, not far from the hamlet of Stilo, and 7 km (4.5 mi) east of Łeba, on the Baltic coast of Poland. The 33.5 m (110 ft) 16-sided cast iron tower was built in 1904 by German engineers and put into operation in 1906. The tricolored lighthouse is attached to a 3-story brick keeper's house and 1-story brick generator and equipment house. The ten storeys of the tower are reached by means of a right-hand spiral staircase (122 steps) and three mobile phone antennae were installed in the lower gallery in April 2000. This beautiful cast iron lighthouse survived both world wars almost intact and looks today, after some repairs and conservation work, much as it did when it was built.

Sunday, October 31, 2010

SPAIN

This postcard shows the old and inactive and the new and current active  Sa Creu Lighthouses. Located on a promontory on the east side of the harbor entrance at Port de Sóller, the 9 m (30 ft) round unpainted stone tower was built in 1864. It did not take much to see that occasional hurricane winds and huge waves would cause intense tremors in the building and the lighthouse would be completely enveloped in the spray caused by the columns of waves which could reach altitudes of over 15 meters above its cupola. Plans were made in 1923 for a new tower on a nearby point and it was completed in 1932. But the new lighthouse did not start operating until 6 June, 1945.The new 13 m (43 ft) round masonry tower, painted with black and white horizontal bands, has a 2-story modern keeper's house nearby.

FRANCE

 Le Four Lighthouse (Phare Le Four) is located on a wave swept rock about 4 km (2.5 mi) west of Argenton, in Bretagne in north-western France. Built between 1869 and 1874, it was lit on March 15th, 1874 marking the northern entrance to the Chenal du Four, the shipping route between the Île d'Ouessant and the mainland. The 28 m (92 ft) round stone tower was hit by a Portuguese ship, the “Esprosende” on November 14th, 1917 and needed extensive repair. Rebuilt between 1920 and 1922 the lighthouse is still active and accessible only by boat.

PORTUGAL

Aveiro Lighthouse, also known as Barra Light, is a 62 m (203 ft) round stone tower that rises from the center of a 2-story keeper's house and is the tallest Portuguese lighthouse. The lighthouse was built between 1885 and 1893 and is located on the south side of the entrance to the Aveiro River, in Barra, the seaside neighborhood of Aveiro. The tower is unusual in having an elevator, installed in 1958, that rises through the middle of a 291-steps spiral stairway. Automated in 1990 the tower is open to the public by arrangement.

RUSSIA

Vasilievsky Island is the largest island in the Neva River delta near the Gulf of Finland, in St. Petersburg, Russia.  One of the distinctive features of St.Petersburg skyline, the imposing 32 meters high (104ft) Rostral Columns were designed in 1810 by the French architect Thomas de Thomon and inaugurated as lighthouses one year later. The two beautiful ornate red columns were built in front of the Old Stock Exchange building, as the symbol of the naval supremacy of the Russian Empire and in honor of the Russian fleet victories. The columns are decorated according to the Roman tradition with protruding six ships’ prows (“rostra” in Latin) and images of anchors. In the 19th century the oil lamps in these gigantic lighthouses were replaced by gas torches and still lit on ceremonic occasions, for instance for Navy days and other water festivals.

Thursday, October 14, 2010

USA

The Ludington Lighthouse is a 57 ft (17.5 m) square pyramidal steel tower located at the end of the breakwater in Ludington, Michigan. The building was mounted on a prow-shaped concrete base designed to break the force of storm waves. The first wood tower was established in 1871 at the end of the south breakwater, but the present light was first lit in 1924 at the north breakwater and it is presently operational. The white tower with a black lantern was automated in 1972 and the Fresnel lens was removed from the lantern in October 1995.  It was replaced by a Tidelands Signal 300 mm acrylic optic. In 2006, the Ludington Breakwater Lighthouse was opened to the public for the first time in its history. The lighthouse is open to the public a few days each summer in calm weather for climbing tours.

SPAIN

Portocolom is a small port on Majorca's southeast coast in Spain and the harbor is nearly enclosed by a rocky peninsula. Located at the tip of the peninsula the lighthouse in Portocolom is called Far de Sa Punta de Ses Crestes and was built in 1863 by Emili Pou. In 1918 the tower was raised 6.5m in order to reach a greater geographical range. In 1965 the signal was electrified and the height of the tower was increased again:  the current 25 m (82 ft) round cylindrical tower, painted with black and white horizontal bands and adjacent to a 2-story keeper's house. The lighthouse emits two white flashes every 10 seconds and the signal range extends to 10 nautical miles.

NORWAY

Lista Lighthouse is the last lighthouse in Norway before the North Sea, near to the southernmost point of Norway. Lit is located about 800 m (1/2 mi) west of Vestbygd, a village in the municipality of Farsund. The first light station was established in the prominent cape in November 1836. The actual 34 m (112 ft) round granite tower was built in 1853 and its light reaches 17.5 nautical miles out to sea. A well-preserved 2-story keeper's house, a fog signal house and garage flank the unpainted dark gray stone tower. Approximately 60.000 visitors come to Lista Lighthouse all the year round, where the attractions include an information centre, a meteorological and an ornithological station, art exhibitions and small concerts. The tower is open daily over the Easter weekend and in June, July, and August.

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

SPAIN

Cap de Formentor is a spectacular bluff, located on the northernmost point of the Spanish Island Majorca and forms the eastern end of Formentor peninsula. A rather dramatic but extremely panoramic road climbs steeply uphill affording sensational views of the countryside below, bay and beaches. The imposing  22 m (72 ft) round masonry tower, attached to a 1-story keeper's house stands at the end of the road: Cap Formentor Lighthouse. The construction of this lighthouse was the most complicated one in all of the islands. The main problem was to transport materials by sea and after that by mule on a crooked trail. The lighthouse was first lit in 1863, converted to electric power in 1962 and today it operates on solar power.

DENMARK

The Limfjord in Denmark is a network of broad sounds and narrow channels that extends all the way across the northern end of Jylland (Jutland), connecting the North Sea at Thyborøn to the Kattegat at Hals. It is approximately 180 kilometers long and of an irregular shape with several bays, narrowings, and islands.
The Grisetåodde Lighthouse is located on a spit of land marking the east entrance to the Oddesund strait in Oddesund Syd. Built in 1909, the 8 m (26 ft) round cast iron tower painted with red and white horizontal bands is still active nowadays.

NORTHERN IRELAND

Donaghadee is a small town and quiet seaside resort in County Down, Northern Ireland, situated on the east coast, about 18 miles (29 km) from Belfast. Donaghadee is probably best known for its lighthouse and harbour. The tower was built in 1836 of cut limestone, fluted, and in its early days was unpainted in natural grey colour. Today the 16 m (53 ft) tower, including the lantern and dome, is painted white with a black plinth.
A serious fire damaged the optic and lantern on the 12th May 1900 and a temporary light had to be shown whilst a new optic was obtained and the damaged lantern repaired. This was completed by September of the same year. In October 1934 the light was the first in Ireland to be converted to electric power.

Sunday, October 3, 2010

GERMANY

Cape Arkona is the most prominent and dangerous cape on Germany's Baltic coast, located on the island of Rügen in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern, Germany. Here are located two of the most beautiful lighthouses of the Baltic Sea. The oldest tower was inaugurated in 1828: a 21 m (69 ft) square 3-stage brick tower. It became inactive in 1902, when the new tower was built side by side. The 35m (115ft) conical brick tower with double gallery is still active.

GERMANY

Hiddensee is a barrier island in the Baltic Sea, located west of Rügen on the German coast. The famous Dornbusch Lighthouse is built on a 72m high hill covered with thorn bushes, for which the light is named. The original tower was a round brick building built in 1888, but it was strengthened with a concrete jacket in 1927 and got the present 12-sided outer wall. The 28 m (92 ft) round masonry tower, painted white with its red lantern roof is a landmark on the northern end of the island. After the German reunification, the tower was restored and opened it to the public in 1994.

ITALY

Cagliari is the capital of Sardinia and is the largest city on the island. It is a thriving and modern city located just a short distance from some of the most mesmerising beaches in Europe. Calamosca is a popular and fabulous beach in Cagliari and place of the traditional Faro di Sant'Elia (Sant’Elia Lighthouse). The 21 m (69 ft) round masonry tower painted with black and white horizontal bands is attached to a 2-story masonry keeper's house. It stands on a promontory on the southeast side of the city, at the end of the Via Faro. The lighthouse was built in 1860 near a late medieval watch tower.

Friday, September 24, 2010

USA

The U.S. state of South Carolina has a relatively short and straight coastline facing southeast on the Atlantic Ocean, with Charleston as the principal harbor. Lighthouses survive at eight historic light stations in the state. For the past decade preservation efforts have been focused on the critically endangered Morris Island Light. Several other lighthouses need attention, including Georgetown, Hunting Island, and especially Cape Romain. The U.S. Coast Guard continues to operate lights at only two of them, Georgetown and Sullivan's Island.

USA

Morris Island Lighthouse is located on Morris Island, on the southern side of the entrance to Charleston Harbor, north of the town of Folly Beach. South Carolina. This is the second oldest light station in the South of the U.S.: the first tower (42 ft) was built in 1767. A second taller tower (102 ft) was built in 1838, but was destroyed during the Civil War 24 years later. The actual 161 ft (49 m) round brick tower was illuminated on October 1, 1876 and “survived” with some damages to a cyclone (1885), an earthquake (1886) and a hurricane (1989). Erosion of land endangered its stability and in 1962, the lighthouse was decommissioned and replaced by the new Sullivan's Island Lighthouse at the north end of the harbor. A non-profit foundation Save The Light, Inc raises funds and coordinates the stabilization, erosion control and restoration of the lighthouse.

UKRAINE

The Vorontsov Lighthouse is a famous 26m (85ft) round cylindrical tower with red gallery, landmark in the Black Sea in the port of Odessa, Ukraine. The first wood tower was established here in 1862 and named after Prince Mikhail Semyonovich Vorontsov, one of the governor-generals of the Odessa region. In 1888, a new concrete tower was built and blown up later during World War II by the Soviets (1941). The actual light was rebuilt in 1954 and is located at the end of a curving breakwater that protects the southeastern corner of Odessa's harbor.

FRANCE

The Lighthouse of Ploumanac'h is located on a rocky promontory at the northeastern entrance to the harbour of Ploumanac'h, town of Perros-Guirec, in northern Brittany, France. The first lighthouse was established in 1860 but it was destroyed during the World War II in 1944. The current lighthouse was built in 1948: a 15m (49 ft) medieval-style square pink granite tower with castellated gallery and a small lantern. The official name Lighthouse Mean Ruz was born into a cacography expression Breton Men Ruz, meaning pink granite. La Côte de Granite Rose (Pink Granite Coast) is a stretch of coastline with unusually pink sands and water-sculpted rocks.

SOUTH AFRICA

Cape Agulhas Lighthouse is South Africa's third oldest light station and second oldest surviving lighthouse (after Green Point). First lit on March 1st, 1849, its design is modeled on the original Egyptian Pharos of Alexandria. It is a 27 m (89 ft) sandstone tower painted white with two red horizontal bands, rising through the center of a 1-story keeper's house.
The lighthouse marks the geographic southernmost point of Africa and the junction of the Atlantic Ocean (cold Benguela Current) and Indian Ocean (warm Agullhas Current). When seafaring Portuguese vessels rounded this cape tip in the 15th century their compass needles would swing unable to determine True North from Magnetic North. As a result, in 1488 the Portuguese navigator, Bartolomeu Dias, name this ocean site “Cabo das Agulhas” (Cape of Needles).
This historic lighthouse was deactivated in 1968 when deterioration of the sandstone walls made the tower appear unsafe. Twenty years of public effort led by the Bredasdorp Shipwreck Museum secured a complete restoration and reactivation in 1988. Today the keeper's house includes the only lighthouse museum in South Africa and a restaurant.

NEW ZEALAND

The Cape Reinga lighthouse stands on a spectacular site overlooking the meeting of the Pacific Ocean and the Tasman Sea, at the northern extremity of New Zealand. First lit in 1941, this lighthouse replaced the Maria Van Diemen Lighthouse built in 1879 on nearby Motuopao Island. The 10 m (33 ft) octagonal concrete tower with black lantern roof was originally powered by diesel-generated electricity. The station was automated and the last keeper was withdrawn in 1987. In April 2000, the light was powered from battery banks charged by solar panels. Approximately 10,000 people visit the Cape Reinga lighthouse each year.

Monday, September 6, 2010

USA

The Isles of Shoals are a small group of islands and rocks 9 miles (15 km) southeast of Portsmouth, lying partly in Maine and partly in New Hampshire’s Atlantic coast. The Isles of Shoals Lighthouse sits atop White Island, the most southerly of the islets. The first lighthouse on the island was built of rubble stone in 1822, but exposed to the full fury of the Atlantic, the original tower began deteriorating quickly. The actual 58 ft (17.5 m) cylindrical white brick tower, attached to a 1-1/2 story keeper's house was built in 1859. In 2005, the tower and the keeper's house were restored, but a northeast storm in mid-April 2007 did much damage on the lighthouse: the walkway was demolished, the foghorn and solar panels for the navigational system were swept away.

USA

Portsmouth Harbor Lighthouse is located on the grounds of the Portsmouth Harbor Coast Guard Station, adjacent to Fort Constitution State Historic Site in New Castle, New Hampshire. The 48 ft (14.5 m) cast iron tower, painted white with lantern and gallery black was built in 1878. Early in 2000 the American Lighthouse Foundation leased the tower for preservation. A support group, Friends of Portsmouth Harbor Light, works for preservation and restoration of the light station. Since then, the tower was restored and repainted and the walkway to the light station was rebuilt to improve access.

USA

Lake Sunapee is a long, narrow lake located in western New Hampshire, United States. In the late 19th century, the beautiful lake became a popular destination for travelers who boarded steamships seeking for resort hotels and family estates sprinkled along the shoreline. In 1891, the steamer “Edmund Burke” struck an underwater ledge at Loon Island. The accident led to the construction, in 1893, of a wooden lighthouse on this small island near the middle of the lake. The original Loon Island lighthouse was destroyed by fire after by a lightning strike in 1960, but it was rebuilt in the same year. In the 1980s, the 25 ft (7.5 m) hexagonal wooden tower, painted white, received solar panels.

JERSEY

La Corbière Lighthouse is perched atop a rock just off the southwestern tip of Jersey in St. Brelade. It was lit on 24 April, 1874, for the first time, and was the first lighthouse in the British Isles to be built of reinforced concrete. The 19 m (62 ft) white concrete block tower was automated in 1976 and is one of the most photographed landmarks in Jersey, a popular tourist site for its panoramic views. A causeway links the lighthouse to shore at low tide and there is an alarm to warn visitors to clear the causeway as the tide rises. The lighthouse at La Corbière features on the Jersey 5 pound note and the Jersey 20 pence piece.

PORTUGAL

Cascais is a coastal town, a cosmopolitan suburb of the Portuguese capital, located 20 kilometers west of Lisbon. The former fishing village is nowadays, a popular vacation spot for both Portuguese and foreign tourists. The Santa Marta Lighthouse is located on the south point of land in Cascais, adjacent to a large marina. Built in 1868, it is a 20 m (66 ft) square masonry tower, covered with tiles, painted with blue and white horizontal bands and a red lantern. Adjacent to the lighthouse are the ruins of the 17th century Forte de Santa Marta. Located on the site of the fortress, the Santa Marta Lighthouse Museum preserves the historic lighthouse and is the first museum dedicated to the lighthouses of the Portuguese coast.

PORTUGAL

Cabo da Roca (Cape Roca) is a cape which forms the westernmost point of both mainland Portugal and mainland Europe. The cape is in the Portuguese municipality of Sintra, west of Lisbon district. Cabo da Roca Lighthouse was first lit in 1772 atop a spectacular cliff that rises out of the Atlantic Ocean to approximately 140 metres above sea level. The 22 m (72 ft) square stone tower rises from a 1-story keeper's complex with its lantern painted red. In 1997 the town council of Sintra erected a plaque at the lighthouse that reads in part, "Cabo da Roca: Onde a terra se acaba e o mar começa" (Here ends the land and begins the sea), a line from the famous 16th century Portuguese poet Luís de Camões.

ITALY

The Cavoli Island Lighthouse is a 37 m (121 ft) round masonry tower attached to a large 3-story, fortress-like keeper's house. La Isola dei Cavoli (Cavoli Island) is a rocky 40 hectare (100 acre) island about 800 m (1/2 mi) southeast of Capo Carbonara, in front of the port of Villasimius, Sardinia. The tower painted with black and white horizontal bands is located on the highest point of the island. The Cavoli Island is a research reserve administered by the Università di Cagliari and hosts a university scientific research centre.

Saturday, August 28, 2010

USA

Located just north of Florida, Georgia has a relatively short Atlantic coastline with six surviving historic lighthouses (3 active). The coastline is low, featuring a series of sandy islands known in Georgia as the Sea Islands.
Sapelo Island Lighthouse is located near the southern tip of Sapelo Island, near Meridian, Georgia. It is the nation's second-oldest brick lighthouse and was built in 1820.
The Cockspur Island Light is a small lighthouse (46 ft = 14 m), round brick tower built in 1848. It is situated on an islet off Cockspur Island at the south channel of the Savannah River near Lazaretto Creek.
Tybee Island lighthouse is the oldest and tallest lighthouse in Georgia: the 145 ft (44 m) black and white octagonal brick tower was finally completed in 1867. It is located on the south side of the Savannah River entrance, in Tybee Island.

FRANCE

The lighthouse of Eckmühl is placed at the Penmarch Cap (Pointe de Penmarch) nearby the two older lighthouse towers: the 40 m (131 ft) round stone tower, rising from the center of a 2-story stone keeper's house (inactive since 1897) and the approx. 15 m (49 ft) square stone tower with castellated top, now partially in ruins. This older tower built in 1831 stands next the white square 3-story signal station on the postcard's left corner.
The square granite tower has a climb of 307 steps to the octagonal lantern house and its light can be seen from 49 nautical miles (91 km) and still functions.

GERMANY

The Roter Sand lighthouse is located in the North Sea off the entrance to the Weser, about 10 km east of Wangerooge. This is one of the world's great waveswept lighthouses and the construction of the tower posed enormous difficulties; the first attempt failed when a storm overturned the incomplete caisson in October 1881. The 28 m (92 ft) round cast iron, brick lined tower painted with red and white horizontal bands was inaugurated in 1885. The light was downgraded in 1964, when Alte Weser took over its function as the landfall light for Bremerhaven and the light was finally deactivated in 1986. Since 1999, after a large restoration, the tower has been open for day tours and overnight stays.

Friday, August 27, 2010

NORWAY

Lista Lighthouse is the last lighthouse in Norway before the North Sea, near to the southernmost point of Norway. Lit is located about 800 m (1/2 mi) west of Vestbygd, a village in the municipality of Farsund. The first light station was established in the prominent cape in November 1836. The actual 34 m (112 ft) round granite tower was built in 1853 and its light reaches 17.5 nautical miles out to sea. A well-preserved 2-story keeper's house, a fog signal house and garage flank the unpainted dark gray stone tower. Approximately 60.000 visitors come to Lista Lighthouse all the year round, where the attractions include an information centre, a meteorological and an ornithological station, art exhibitions and small concerts. The tower is open daily over the Easter weekend and in June, July, and August.

USA

The Cana Island light is a lighthouse located on the 8.7-acre (35,000 m2) Cana Island (Lake Michigan) connected to the mainland by a low causeway, about 5 miles (8 km) northeast of Baileys Harbor, Wisconsin. First lit on the evening of January 24, 1870, the 81 ft (24.5 m) round white tower was built of brick, but in 1902, a steel cladding was added to the tower to protect it from storm and icy winter deterioration. There are 102 cast iron steps in the circular staircase leading to the watch room. The 1-1/2 story keeper's house is a museum open daily from May 8 to October 29.

FRANCE

Belle-Île-en-Mer is a French island off the coast of Brittany (located about 13 km south of Quiberon) in the département of Morbihan, and the largest of Brittany's islands. The coasts are a mixture between dangerously sharp cliff edges on the southwest side, placid beaches and navigable harbours on the northeast side. Pointe des Poulains Lighthouse is located on a small islet just off the northwestern point of Belle-Île and was built in 1868. It is an 18 m (59 ft) square cylindrical masonry tower rising from the front of a 1-1/2 story stone keeper's house. The lighthouse was converted to solar power in 1999 and is an active aid to navigation: there are four lighthouses on the island.

USA

Point Reyes is the windiest place on the Pacific Coast and the second foggiest place on the North American continent. Weeks of fog, especially during the summer months, frequently reduce visibility to hundreds of feet. The Point Reyes Headlands, which jut 10 miles out to sea, pose a threat to each ship entering or leaving San Francisco Bay. The historic Point Reyes Lighthouse warned mariners of danger for more than a hundred years. First lit on December 1, 1870 the lighthouse is located on the westernmost point of the Point Reyes peninsula, 19 miles (31 km) from the nearest town of Inverness, California. The 35 ft (10.5 m) 16-sided pyramidal cast iron tower is a twin of Cape Mendocino Light and is accessible by a short walkway (with 308 stone stairs) from the headland to the plateau. The Point Reyes Lighthouse was retired from service in 1975 when the U.S. Coast Guard installed an automated light. The Lighthouse Visitor Center offers exhibits and tours and seasonally, there are tours of the lantern room and evening lighting programs.

USA

Starting in the mid 1800's, Coos Bay had become an important shipping point on the west coast of the United States. Cape Arago light station located on Chief's Island was first illuminated on November 1, 1866. The wooden tower remained in service for nearly forty-four years. However, sailor's demands for a better light and the threat of erosion meant the end of the first tower, and in 1909, the second wooden tower was lit. Seeking a more durable structure, the actual 44 ft (13.5 m) octagonal cylindrical tower was constructed of concrete in 1934. The lighthouse was deactivated on New Year's Day 2006 and the only surviving structures on the island today are the lighthouse and the high bridge constructed in 1889 to provide access to the island. The Chief’s Islands are located just off the coast about 3 miles (5 km) west of Charleston, Oregon.

Friday, August 20, 2010

NORWAY

The lighthouse of Lindesnes stands on the southernmost point of the mainland of Norway. The first lighthouse in Norway was established in Lindesness on February 27, 1656, consisting of 30 tallow candles in the upper floor of a three-floor tower. The light was closed after only a few months. Two coal fires, in open grates placed directly on the ground, were lit on Feb 1, 1725. In 1822, a new lighthouse was built with a light that was fueled by gas and thirty-two years later a new lighthouse equipped with a Fresnel lens was built. In 1915, the lens was moved to a white conical new white tower (height 53 meters), with a new engine room and a fog signal.
The lighthouse has been designated a national lighthouse museum, and hosts various exhibitions relating to the development and history of lighthouses, maritime culture, etc. The underground hall below the lighthouse houses a cinema, exhibitions and a café. The complex also comprises an information centre/shop, a restaurant and a gallery.

USA

Biloxi Lighthouse is a 61 ft (18.5 m) white cast iron tower located in the median of Highway 90, at the foot of Porter Street in Biloxi, Mississippi. Built in 1848, it is the second-oldest cast iron lighthouse in the U.S. and became the last standing of the more than ten lighthouses originally built to mark the Mississippi coastline. The keeper's houses were destroyed by Hurricane Camille in 1969. Although the lighthouse survived the Hurricane Katrina, which caused so much devastation in Biloxi and the surrounding Gulf Coast in 2005, its interior brick lining was damaged and required extensive repair. On February 19, 2010, a rededication ceremony was held for a gleaming white Biloxi Lighthouse that had just undergone a $400,000 makeover, during which the tower was rewired, the interior brick lining was rebuilt, new exterior lighting was installed, and the decorative metal fence surrounding the base of the tower was restored.