Saturday, April 3, 2010
La Perdrix Lighthouse. Located at the mouth of the Pont-l'Abbé river estuary, between Loctudy and Île Tudy in Brittanny, France. The 18 m (59 ft) octagonal concrete tower, painted in a black and white checkerboard pattern, was built in 1915.
Most of the U.S. state of Florida occupies a long peninsula separating the Atlantic Ocean from the Gulf of Mexico; the state's western "panhandle" extends westward along the Gulf coast. As a result, Florida has by far the longest coastline of any state of the eastern U.S. Nearly all of the coast is low and sandy, broken occasionally by narrow inlets. For visibility at a distance, the Florida coast requires tall lighthouses. Florida has about three dozen lighthouses, including several of the country's most famous light towers.
Blacksod Point Lighthouse. 12 m (40 ft) 2-story granite block keeper's house topped by a lantern; house is unpainted, lantern painted white. Located at the south end of the Mullet Peninsula, about 7 km (4 mi) south of Aughleam, a village in County Mayo.
Barra´s Lighthouse. The lighthouse is built atop the Forte de Santo Antônio da Barra, a historic fortification dating from the sixteenth century. A light was displayed from the fort as early as 1698, leading to a claim that this is the oldest light station in the Americas.The actual 22 m (72 ft) round tapered tower, painted with black and white horizontal bands, was built in 1839. The light marks the northern entrance to the Bahia Todos os Santos, the harbor of Salvador, Bahia's state capital.
Fremantle South Mole Lighthouse. The 9 m (30 ft) round cast iron tower, painted green with white trim was established in 1903. Located at the end of the south breakwater at the entrance to the Swan River, Fremantle's harbor, Western Australia.
Prince Edward Island, smallest of the ten Canadian provinces, is located in the southern part of the Gulf of St. Lawrence, separated from the mainland by the Northumberland Strait. The coastline of Prince Edward Island is dotted with historic lighthouses.
Kolobrzeg Lighthouse. Located on the Parsęta River on the south coast of the Baltic Sea. The 26 m (85 ft) round cylindrical brick tower (built in 1948) rises from a large round eighteenth-century fortification. This postcard presents pictures of Polish lighthouses along the Baltic coastline.
Dun Laoghaire East Lighthouse. The 12.5 m (41 ft) round stone tower has two keeper's houses built on the base of the pier. This light is located at the end of the East Pier of Dun Laoghaire Harbour. It was built in 1847 to guide into the harbour ships that were waiting to get into the Port of Dublin.
Málaga Lighthouse. One of the oldest and most historic lighthouses of Spain, it was built in 1817 and damaged by an earthquake in 1898. Repaired and refurbished, the light is known affectionately as La Farola. The 37 m (121 ft) robust round masonry tower rises through the center of a 2-story keeper's house. Located on the Paseo de la Farola on the east side of the harbor of Málaga, southern province of Andalucia.
The Newport Harbor Lighthouse. Also known as the Goat Island Light is located on north end of Goat Island, which is part of the city of Newport, in Narragansett Bay, Rhode Island. The current lighthouse was constructed in 1842 and the 35 ft (10.5 m) octagonal granite tower remains an active aid to mariners and recreational boaters with its continuous green light.
Mersey Bluff Lighthouse. 16 m (51 ft) tapered round brick tower painted white with vertical red stripes on the seaward side of the tower. Built in 1889 and located on northwest of the entrance to the Mersey River in Devonport, Tasmania.
Beeves Rock Lighthouse. 18 m (60 ft) round stone tower with lantern and gallery rising through the center of a 1-1/2 story stone keeper's house. Located in the Shannon estuary off the mouth of the Fergus estuary, north of Askeaton, County Clare. Built in 1855.
Mine Head Lighthouse. The 22 m (72 ft) round sandstone tower painted white with a single black horizontal band was established in 1851. Located on a headland about 25 km (16 mi) south of Dungarvan, south coast of Ireland in the province of Munster.
Friday, April 2, 2010
Lindesnes Lighthouse The light stands on the southernmost point of the mainland of Norway, located at the end of a peninsula about 12 km (7.5 mi) southwest of Høllen. The first lighthouse in Norway was established in Lindesness on February 27, 1656. The actual 16 m (52 ft) round cast iron tower, adjacent to a 1-story keeper's house was established in 1915.
Cape Arkona Lighthouses. Cape Arkona is the most prominent and dangerous cape on Germany's Baltic coast, located on the island of Rügen in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern, Germany. The oldest tower was inaugurated in 1828: a 21 m (69 ft) square 3-stage brick tower. It became inactive in 1902, when the new tower was built side by side. The 35m (115ft) conical brick tower with double gallery is still active.
Eierland Lighthouse (Texel Light) built in 1864.The 35 m (114 ft) round cylindrical red brick tower is located at the north end of the island of Texel. Texel is the largest and southernmost of the Dutch Frisian islands and the only one included in the province of Noord Holland.
Blackrock Mayo Lighthouse. The 15 m (50 ft) round white stone tower attached to 1-story keeper's houses was built in 1864. One of Ireland's most remote lighthouses: located atop a high rocky islet about 20 km (12 mi) west of Blacksod Point, County Mayo.
Courdouan Lighthouse. This is the oldest and perhaps greatest of French lighthouses and one of the most famous lighthouses in the world: the Tour de Cordouan. The lighthouse is located 7 kilometres at sea, on a rocky tableland, at the mouth of the Gironde River and faces the Atlantic Ocean and the French coasts of Médoc and Charente-Maritime. The 68 m (223 ft) unpainted light gray tower was built in 1862.
Guia Lighthouse. The Guia Fortress is a historical military fort, chapel, and lighthouse complex in the former Portuguese colony of Macau, in China. The complex is a UNESCO World Heritage Site as part of the Historic Centre of Macau. The 13.5 m (44 ft) round tapered white stone tower was built in 1865.
Fastnet Lighthouse. Located on a rocky islet 13 km (8 mi) southeast of Crookhaven and 5 km (3 mi) southwest of Cape Clear, in County Cork. The 54 m (176 ft) tapered round granite tower (built in 1904) is a landfall light for ships arriving from America.
Macquarie Lighthouse. This is Australia's oldest light station (began operating in 1818) located on Dunbar Head, Vaucluse (approximately 2 km south of South Head) near the entrance to Sydney Harbour. The 26 m (85 ft) round sandstone tower attached to a 1-story sandstone keeper's house is probably the best-known lighthouse in Australia.
Westerheversand Lighthouse. It is situated on the German North Sea coast in the northern part of the peninsula of Eiderstedt. The 40m (131 ft) round cast iron tower is painted with red and white horizontal bands; lantern, watch room, and galleries painted black. It is flanked to either side by two keeper's cottages.
Thursday, April 1, 2010
Savudrija Lighthouse. It is the oldest Adriatic lighthouse, built in 1818 in Savudrija, Croatia. It is also the northernmost Croatian lighthouse located near the Slovenian border. The 29 m (95 ft) cylindrical cream-colored stone tower marks the southern entrance to the Gulf of Trieste.
West Quoddy Head Lighthouse. Located in the east coast of Maine, overlooking Quoddy Narrows, a strait between Canada and the United States. The 49 ft (15 m) round brick tower painted with narrow horizontal red and white stripes was built in 1858.