Monday, June 28, 2010
Point Conception Lighthouse is located on Point Conception at the west entrance of the Santa Barbara Channel, California, about 15 miles (25 km) south of Lompoc. One of the earliest California light stations, built in 1856, the original tower was built high on the sandstone cliffs. In 1882, the lighthouse was moved and rebuilt from the top of the bluff to a mesa halfway down, 133 feet above the Pacific Ocean. The 52 ft (16 m) stucco-clad brick tower attached to a 1-story brick fog signal building is still in good condition. Due to the remoteness and inaccessibility of the lighthouse, few are the people who get to enjoy the beauty of this location.
The postcard with the inscription “Belgian Coast” presents four lighthouses of that country. Belgium has a North Sea coast about 65 km (40 mi) long, all of it located in the Flemish-speaking province of West Vlaanderen (West Flanders). There are four ports on this coast: Nieuwpoort, Oostende, Blankenberge, and Zeebrugge, and each of the four has its own collection of lighthouses. Knokke-Heist, a seaside resort is located east of Zeebrugge port.
The Lime Kiln lighthouse is located on the west side of San Juan Island, the largest island of the archipelago, part of the U.S. state of Washington. Built in 1914, its name derived from the lime kilns built nearby in the 1860s. The 38 ft (12 m) octagonal cylindrical concrete tower sits on the rocky shoreline at the entrance to Haro Strait, a major shipping route to Vancouver, Canada. In 1985, the light station was leased by the Whale Museum in Friday Harbor as a center for whale tracking and research.
Galle is Sri Lanka’s oldest city and was, for centuries, Sri Lanka’s main port. Located about 115 km south of the capital city of Colombo, Galle has a splendid natural harbor. The Galle Lighthouse is Sri Lanka's oldest light station, built in 1848 by the Dutch colonial rulers. The original lighthouse was destroyed by fire in 1936 and the present tower was built by British engineers in 1939. The light station is within the walls of the ancient Galle Fort, a UNESCO world heritage site and well known tourist attraction, making this the country's most often visited lighthouse. The 26.5 m (87 ft) round cast iron tower is located at the end of a peninsula sheltering the harbor of Galle, at the southwestern corner of Sri Lanka.
Posted by LUIS ALBERTO KALIFE at 5:22 PM
The New Haven Lighthouse is located in Lighthouse Point Park on the east side of the entrance to New Haven harbor, Connecticut. Built in 1847 by Marcus Bassett, the 70 ft (21 m) octagonal brownstone tower guided many ships into the harbor, until 1877 when a more strategic light was built near the breakwater. Painted white, the tower which has a circular staircase with 74 steps guiding the way to the lantern was restored in 1986. The 2-1/2 story red brick keeper's house was originally attached to the lighthouse by a wooden passage way. The keeper's house, currently leased as a residence, is in poor condition.
Sunday, June 13, 2010
The Créac'h lighthouse (in French: Phare du Creach) is a lighthouse located at the northwestern tip of the Île d'Ouessant, an island in the English Channel which marks the north-westernmost point of metropolitan France, in the Finistère department. The 55 m (180 ft) round stone tower painted with black and white horizontal bands, rises from a 2-story keeper's house complex. This is one of France's greatest and most important lighthouses: built in 1863, the original lantern was replaced in 1888 and again in 1939. The actual lantern is one of the world's most powerful lights, visible for more than 60 km (37.5 mi). The lighthouse houses a museum exhibiting a wide collection of Fresnel lenses and other equipment.
The Castro-Urdiales lighthouse is located atop a vertical cliff at the point of the peninsula in Castro-Urdiales, Cantabria. The 16 m (52 ft) stone tower is attached to one corner of the massive stone Castle of Santa Ana. The lighthouse was lit for the first time on November 19, 1853, during the reign of Elizabeth II and has been renovated several times. The Castle of Santa Ana and the adjacent church of Santa Maria de la Asunción are among the oldest and best known Gothic buildings of the province; they are believed to date from the 13th century.
Pointe aux Canons Lighthouse is the most distinctive landmark of Saint-Pierre built in 1862. Painted in bright red and white colors the 11 m (35 ft) octagonal stone tower is located at the end of a stone pier in the harbor at Saint-Pierre. The point is named for the cannons of the nearby historic fort. The original lantern has been removed, and the light is mounted in a small enclosure at the top of a dome-shaped platform atop the tower.
The Death Coast (Costa da Morte) is part of the Spanish Galician coast and received its name because there have been so many shipwrecks along its treacherous rocky shore. Cabo Corrubedo is the most dangerous Spanish cape south of Finisterre, since it projects far into the sea and the ridge continues underwater as a series of shoals. Here is located the Cabo Corrubedo lighthouse, the 14 m (46 ft) round granite tower, mounted atop a semicircular 1-story masonry keeper's house. Built in 1853 by the Spanish engineer Celedonio Uribe, it was lit on February 20th, 1854. The unusual semicircular design of the keeper's house was meant to minimize wind resistance.
Thursday, June 10, 2010
Cape Palascìa, commonly known as Capo d'Otranto, is Italy's most easterly point. It is situated about 5 km (3 mi) southeast of Otranto, in the Province of Lecce. The Capo d’Otranto lighthouse was built in 1867 and is inactive since the 1970s. The 32 m (105 ft) round stone tower rises from a 2-story keeper's house and is often visited by tourists, especially at New Year, since it stands at the point where the dawn of the New Year may first be seen in Italy. According to nautical conventions, Capo d'Otranto marks the point where the Ionian Sea and the Adriatic Sea meet. The lighthouse of Otranto, after a restoration of the main building, was reopened on December 19, 2008 and hosts the Centre on Environment and Health of the Mediterranean ecosystems (ObsEco) and a multimedia museum of the sea.
The Battery Point Lighthouse was one of the first lighthouses on the California coast built in 1856. The lighthouse is located on a small island just outside Crescent City's Harbor. The 45 ft (14 m) cylindrical brick tower on the roof of a 1-1/2 story granite keeper's house was inactive from 1965 to 1982. On December 10, 1982, the light in the lighthouse tower was lit again, and the Battery Point Lighthouse was listed as a private aid to navigation. Visits to the Battery Point Lighthouse and Island are only possible at low tides. Extreme care and caution should be used when crossing the two hundred feet between the mainland and island anytime wave action may cover the crossing area. The tower and a museum are opened to visits in season.
Patras is located at the Western part of Greece’s mainland on the Northwestern coast of Peloponnesus. The original lighthouse of Patra, built in 1858, was located at the end of the pier at the foot of Agios Nikolaos Street. The lighthouse was demolished in 1972 during the dictatorship , a tragic loss of a valuable and valued civic landmark. A replica of the city's emblematic old lighthouse was constructed in 1999 using the original stones as a part of a coastline beautification project. The 13 m (43 ft) round cylindrical stone tower rises from a 1-story stone keeper's house and now sits in a newly developed area surrounded by a recreation space, a cafe and a restaurant overlooking the city's port.
Friday, June 4, 2010
The Cabo Mayor lighthouse presides over the entrance to the Bay of Santander, province of Cantabria, Spain. Located on a headland projecting into the sea about 5 km north-eastern of the city, this historic lighthouse was built in response to a royal order of 1833 and inaugurated in 1839. The 30 m (98 ft) stone tower rises from the center of a circular 1-story stone keeper's house. Well maintained, it is a popular touristic attraction adjacent to an area with race track, camp site, public park and golf course.
New Caledonia boasts the world's second tallest cast iron lighthouse, the active Amédée lighthouse, located on Amédée Island, 24 km away from Nouméa. This magnificent lighthouse, the pride of New Caledonia, was prefabricated in France in 1862, disassembled into 1,265 pieces weighing a total of 388,000 kilos and shipped halfway around the world. The 55 m (180 ft) round 16-sided cast iron white tower was first lit on 15 November 1865. Today it is New Caledonia's best known tourist attraction and the tower is opened to guided tours.