Sunday, June 13, 2010
The Castro-Urdiales lighthouse is located atop a vertical cliff at the point of the peninsula in Castro-Urdiales, Cantabria. The 16 m (52 ft) stone tower is attached to one corner of the massive stone Castle of Santa Ana. The lighthouse was lit for the first time on November 19, 1853, during the reign of Elizabeth II and has been renovated several times. The Castle of Santa Ana and the adjacent church of Santa Maria de la Asunción are among the oldest and best known Gothic buildings of the province; they are believed to date from the 13th century.