Saturday, July 24, 2010

ITALY

This famous and magnificent lighthouse is located near the ferry-boat terminal in Genoa, capital of the region of Liguria. La Lanterna (as it is known) is the symbol of Genoa and the arms of the city are painted on the sides of the lower stage. It is a 77 m (253 ft) two-stage square cylindrical stone tower with lantern and two galleries, one at the top of each stage. Built on a rock of 40 metres of height, the top of the Lanterna stands therefore at 117 metres above the sea level. Its light is visible from more than 50 kilometres away. The lighthouse, as we see it today, was built in 1543; it is believed that the original lighthouse (which was nearly as tall) stood on this site as early as 1128 (another source says 1161), and a lamp fueled by olive oil was installed in 1326.
The lighthouse was restored by the Provincia di Genova between 1995 and 2004. Visitors are allowed to climb 172 steps to the first gallery, which is 36 m (118 ft) above the foot of the tower and 76 m (249 ft) above the water. A museum has been built nearby in part of the Savoy fortifications that surround the tower. Here it is possible to see lamps, lenses and other lighthouse-related objects.

USA

Faulkner's Island Light is Connecticut's second oldest lighthouse and is located on a small island three and one half miles offshore from Guilford, Connecticut. After many shipwrecks on the rocks around the three-acre island, the 46 ft (14 m) octagonal brownstone tower was built in 1802 by stonemason Abisha Woodward. A unique feature of this lighthouse is the stairway, which emerges from a door at the watch room level and spirals outside to the gallery. In 1856, the light was upgraded from lamps to a fourth order Fresnel lens. In March 1976, a fire broke out in the keeper's house and the tower was scorched. Two years later the light was repaired and automated, with the fourth order lens being replaced by a modern optic and in 1988 the light was converted to solar power. The nonprofit Faulkner's Light Brigade works at the restoration and preservation of Faulkner Island and the lighthouse and organizes an annual open house in September.

FRANCE

The Cap de Hague lighthouse (or Goury Lighthouse) is located at the end of the Cotentin Peninsula, on the north coast of the Manche department in the Basse-Normandie region in north-western France. Located on a small waveswept island, Gros-du-Raz, about 800 m west of Goury village. Built in 1837, the 51 m (167 ft) round granite tower mounted on a 1-story cylindrical granite base is a crucial point of reference for ships sailing through the Alderney Channel.

TAIWAN

Eluanbi Light is a lighthouse located on the Cape Eluanbi, which is also the southernmost point of Taiwan, to the south of Hengchun in Pingtung County. The 21 m (69 ft) round cast iron tower has a splendid panorama and is called "The Light of East Asia", because its intensity is the most powerful among Taiwan lighthouses. Built by the Chinese Imperial government in 1882, it suffered severe damages during the First Sino-Japanese War (1895) and during World War II damaged by Allies' bombing. Re-built, the lighthouse is now held as a historical monument admired by many tourists in the Kenting National Park. A visitor center is open to the public all year around at the 1-story keeper's house.

AUSTRALIA

Tacking Point Lighthouse is Australia's third oldest lighthouse and was built in 1879, on a rocky headland about 6 kilometres south of Port Macquarie, New South Wales. The 8 m (26 ft) round cement brick tower is attached to a 1-story service building and is located at a popular site for surfing and whale watching. In 1919, the lighthouse was converted to automatic acetylene operation and to electricity in 1974.

ESTONIA

Kõpu lighthouse is undoubtedly the most famous tourist attraction on Hiiumaa island( the second largest island in Estonia). The 36 m (118 ft) massive square stone tower with pyramid-shaped base was constructed in 1531 and is believed to be the third oldest continually operating lighthouse in the world. The construction of this lighthouse was a remarkable feat considering the remoteness of the location and the lack of modern technology. Originally, a large fire burned atop the lighthouse and its appetite for wood resulted in the deforestation of a large part of Kõpu peninsula. . The brick top section of the tower was built in 1659. The Russian government took over operation of the tower from local authorities in 1805 and added a lantern in 1845. The lighthouse is open to the public and for a small fee you can walk to the top and enjoy a breathtaking view of the Baltic Sea as well as much of the island.

Monday, July 5, 2010

AUSTRALIA

The Kiama Lighthouse was established on January 1st, 1887 in Kiama, New South Wales, Australian east coast. Situated on the round apex of Blowhole Point, the 15 m (51 ft) round cylindrical concrete-clad brick tower stands from the sea level to the light at a height of 224 ft. The principal Keeper's House was destroyed by vandals in the 1920s. The 1-story assistant Keeper's House, used for many years as a residence for harbor pilots, is now a museum and visitor centre.

IRELAND

The Oyster Island Lighthouse is located on the northwestern point of Oyster Island, in County Sligo in the northwest of Ireland. Two lights were established in 1837 which formed leading lights from Sligo Bay into the Channel to Sligo Port. In 1893, the two discontinued towers had been taken down and this squat little lighthouse was rebuilt in 1932. The 12 m (40 ft) round masonry tower has a polygonal dome and a wrought-iron balustrade: it is a prominent landmark of architectural and technical interest.

SCOTLAND

The Stoer Head Lighthouse stands on a rocky promontory surrounded on two sides by cliffs near the westernmost point of the Stoer Peninsula, in the Highlands, Scotland. This is a remote, wild and lonely spot and over the centuries this area became the graveyard of many ships. The lighthouse was built in 1870 by David and Thomas Stevenson, members of the Stevenson dynasty who as successive generations of chief engineers of the Northern Lighthouse Board were responsible for building most of Scotland's lighthouses. The 14 m (56 ft) round cylindrical stone tower is attached to a 2-story keeper's house and was automated in 1978. The keepers' accommodation is today rented out as two holiday apartments.

USA

Heceta Head Light is a lighthouse located on the Oregon Coast 13 miles (21 km) north of Florence, Oregon, United States. Surely one of the most dramatically beautiful light stations of the world, high above the Pacific and surrounded by the Siuslaw National Forest, Heceta was first lit on May 30, 1894. The 56 ft (17 m) stucco-clad brick tower attached to workroom shines a beam visible for 21 miles (34 km), making it the strongest light on the Oregon Coast. The original Chance Brothers 1st order Fresnel lens is still in use, even after repairs in 2001 and 2009 that shut down the lighthouse. The original 2-story Queen Anne-style wood keeper's house, known as Heceta House, is now used as a bed and breakfast inn.

CROATIA

Porer Lighthouse is situated on an islet in the Adriatic Sea, about a nautical mile southwest of the southern cape of Istria, Croatia. Porer is actually a round-shaped rock, in the middle of which there is a 31m (102 ft) round cylindrical masonry tower, centered on a 1-story keeper's house. The light was built in 1833 and is still active nowadays. It is possible to rent two four-bed apartments in the keeper’s house for holidays on Porer.

ARUBA

The California Lighthouse is located on the northwest tip of Aruba, perched on a high seaside elevation with a perfect view of the island's western coastline. Built in 1916 by a French architect, the 30 m (98 ft) unpainted stone tower was named for the British steamship California, which wrecked nearby on Sept 23, 1891. The 1-story keeper's house has been greatly expanded into a popular Italian restaurant named La Trattoria el Faro Blanco.