Saturday, August 28, 2010

USA

Located just north of Florida, Georgia has a relatively short Atlantic coastline with six surviving historic lighthouses (3 active). The coastline is low, featuring a series of sandy islands known in Georgia as the Sea Islands.
Sapelo Island Lighthouse is located near the southern tip of Sapelo Island, near Meridian, Georgia. It is the nation's second-oldest brick lighthouse and was built in 1820.
The Cockspur Island Light is a small lighthouse (46 ft = 14 m), round brick tower built in 1848. It is situated on an islet off Cockspur Island at the south channel of the Savannah River near Lazaretto Creek.
Tybee Island lighthouse is the oldest and tallest lighthouse in Georgia: the 145 ft (44 m) black and white octagonal brick tower was finally completed in 1867. It is located on the south side of the Savannah River entrance, in Tybee Island.

FRANCE

The lighthouse of Eckmühl is placed at the Penmarch Cap (Pointe de Penmarch) nearby the two older lighthouse towers: the 40 m (131 ft) round stone tower, rising from the center of a 2-story stone keeper's house (inactive since 1897) and the approx. 15 m (49 ft) square stone tower with castellated top, now partially in ruins. This older tower built in 1831 stands next the white square 3-story signal station on the postcard's left corner.
The square granite tower has a climb of 307 steps to the octagonal lantern house and its light can be seen from 49 nautical miles (91 km) and still functions.

GERMANY

The Roter Sand lighthouse is located in the North Sea off the entrance to the Weser, about 10 km east of Wangerooge. This is one of the world's great waveswept lighthouses and the construction of the tower posed enormous difficulties; the first attempt failed when a storm overturned the incomplete caisson in October 1881. The 28 m (92 ft) round cast iron, brick lined tower painted with red and white horizontal bands was inaugurated in 1885. The light was downgraded in 1964, when Alte Weser took over its function as the landfall light for Bremerhaven and the light was finally deactivated in 1986. Since 1999, after a large restoration, the tower has been open for day tours and overnight stays.

Friday, August 27, 2010

NORWAY

Lista Lighthouse is the last lighthouse in Norway before the North Sea, near to the southernmost point of Norway. Lit is located about 800 m (1/2 mi) west of Vestbygd, a village in the municipality of Farsund. The first light station was established in the prominent cape in November 1836. The actual 34 m (112 ft) round granite tower was built in 1853 and its light reaches 17.5 nautical miles out to sea. A well-preserved 2-story keeper's house, a fog signal house and garage flank the unpainted dark gray stone tower. Approximately 60.000 visitors come to Lista Lighthouse all the year round, where the attractions include an information centre, a meteorological and an ornithological station, art exhibitions and small concerts. The tower is open daily over the Easter weekend and in June, July, and August.

USA

The Cana Island light is a lighthouse located on the 8.7-acre (35,000 m2) Cana Island (Lake Michigan) connected to the mainland by a low causeway, about 5 miles (8 km) northeast of Baileys Harbor, Wisconsin. First lit on the evening of January 24, 1870, the 81 ft (24.5 m) round white tower was built of brick, but in 1902, a steel cladding was added to the tower to protect it from storm and icy winter deterioration. There are 102 cast iron steps in the circular staircase leading to the watch room. The 1-1/2 story keeper's house is a museum open daily from May 8 to October 29.

FRANCE

Belle-Île-en-Mer is a French island off the coast of Brittany (located about 13 km south of Quiberon) in the département of Morbihan, and the largest of Brittany's islands. The coasts are a mixture between dangerously sharp cliff edges on the southwest side, placid beaches and navigable harbours on the northeast side. Pointe des Poulains Lighthouse is located on a small islet just off the northwestern point of Belle-Île and was built in 1868. It is an 18 m (59 ft) square cylindrical masonry tower rising from the front of a 1-1/2 story stone keeper's house. The lighthouse was converted to solar power in 1999 and is an active aid to navigation: there are four lighthouses on the island.

USA

Point Reyes is the windiest place on the Pacific Coast and the second foggiest place on the North American continent. Weeks of fog, especially during the summer months, frequently reduce visibility to hundreds of feet. The Point Reyes Headlands, which jut 10 miles out to sea, pose a threat to each ship entering or leaving San Francisco Bay. The historic Point Reyes Lighthouse warned mariners of danger for more than a hundred years. First lit on December 1, 1870 the lighthouse is located on the westernmost point of the Point Reyes peninsula, 19 miles (31 km) from the nearest town of Inverness, California. The 35 ft (10.5 m) 16-sided pyramidal cast iron tower is a twin of Cape Mendocino Light and is accessible by a short walkway (with 308 stone stairs) from the headland to the plateau. The Point Reyes Lighthouse was retired from service in 1975 when the U.S. Coast Guard installed an automated light. The Lighthouse Visitor Center offers exhibits and tours and seasonally, there are tours of the lantern room and evening lighting programs.

USA

Starting in the mid 1800's, Coos Bay had become an important shipping point on the west coast of the United States. Cape Arago light station located on Chief's Island was first illuminated on November 1, 1866. The wooden tower remained in service for nearly forty-four years. However, sailor's demands for a better light and the threat of erosion meant the end of the first tower, and in 1909, the second wooden tower was lit. Seeking a more durable structure, the actual 44 ft (13.5 m) octagonal cylindrical tower was constructed of concrete in 1934. The lighthouse was deactivated on New Year's Day 2006 and the only surviving structures on the island today are the lighthouse and the high bridge constructed in 1889 to provide access to the island. The Chief’s Islands are located just off the coast about 3 miles (5 km) west of Charleston, Oregon.

Friday, August 20, 2010

NORWAY

The lighthouse of Lindesnes stands on the southernmost point of the mainland of Norway. The first lighthouse in Norway was established in Lindesness on February 27, 1656, consisting of 30 tallow candles in the upper floor of a three-floor tower. The light was closed after only a few months. Two coal fires, in open grates placed directly on the ground, were lit on Feb 1, 1725. In 1822, a new lighthouse was built with a light that was fueled by gas and thirty-two years later a new lighthouse equipped with a Fresnel lens was built. In 1915, the lens was moved to a white conical new white tower (height 53 meters), with a new engine room and a fog signal.
The lighthouse has been designated a national lighthouse museum, and hosts various exhibitions relating to the development and history of lighthouses, maritime culture, etc. The underground hall below the lighthouse houses a cinema, exhibitions and a café. The complex also comprises an information centre/shop, a restaurant and a gallery.

USA

Biloxi Lighthouse is a 61 ft (18.5 m) white cast iron tower located in the median of Highway 90, at the foot of Porter Street in Biloxi, Mississippi. Built in 1848, it is the second-oldest cast iron lighthouse in the U.S. and became the last standing of the more than ten lighthouses originally built to mark the Mississippi coastline. The keeper's houses were destroyed by Hurricane Camille in 1969. Although the lighthouse survived the Hurricane Katrina, which caused so much devastation in Biloxi and the surrounding Gulf Coast in 2005, its interior brick lining was damaged and required extensive repair. On February 19, 2010, a rededication ceremony was held for a gleaming white Biloxi Lighthouse that had just undergone a $400,000 makeover, during which the tower was rewired, the interior brick lining was rebuilt, new exterior lighting was installed, and the decorative metal fence surrounding the base of the tower was restored.

TAIWAN

The Modouyu lighthouse is situated on Modouyu Island, a tiny islet at the extreme northern end of the Penghu Islands, about 12 km (7.5 mi) north of Paisha. This historic tower built in 1902 is Taiwan's tallest lighthouse: the 40 m (131 ft) round cast iron tower is painted with black and white horizontal bands. Since the waters between Modouyu and Jibeiyu is a deep water abrasion platform, submerged reefs are everywhere, even where the water is less than 1m deep, hence the numerous accounts of shipwrecks. This area was once called the "Dangerous Penghu Bermuda Reef-striking Area ". The island does not have electricity and all electricity comes from the three generators to keep the lighthouse running. Modouyu tower is the only lighthouse that has a reservoir built inside it to store the rainfall.

Saturday, August 14, 2010

SWEDEN

Örskär is a Swedish island and lighthouse station located north of Gräsö on the Uppland coastline. Örskär is the second lighthouse to be built in Sweden and currently is a well-preserved light station. The first tower was constructed of wood in 1687, but was burned down in 1737. The present lighthouse was built in 1739 by the royal architect, Carl Hårleman, who also built the royal palace in Stockholm. The 33 m (108 ft) 2-stage stone tower is painted white with one black horizontal band on each stage. The lower stage is octagonal and the upper stage is round.

USA

The U.S. state of Oregon is located on the Pacific coast north of California. Almost all of its coastline is steep and scenic, and the lighthouses are generally built on spectacular headlands. Protected harbors are very scarce. In all, there are 12 lighthouses, two of them built privately. In addition, the lightship Columbia is preserved at Astoria.

GERMANY

The Pilsum Lighthouse was built in 1891 in order to provide a beacon for the Emshörn channel on Germany's North Sea coast. It is located on a dyke near the village of Pilsum in the East Frisia region, state of Lower Saxony, Germany. The 11 m (36 ft) round cylindrical cast iron tower has guided ships through the narrow channel since 1915. In the First World War its light was extinguished in order that enemy ships could not navigate the route. Maintained between the World Wars as a daybeacon, the lighthouse was effectively abandoned at the start of World War II because the channel was changed. In 1973, the exterior was restored and painted with its present red and yellow horizontal bands pattern. In early 2005, after some previous restorations, the lighthouse was reactivated with a new 60 cm (24 in) lens: the light was displayed through a window at the top of the tower.

NORTHERN IRELAND

Blackhead Lighthouse is located atop a spectacular vertical cliff on a sharp headland at the northern entrance to Belfast Lough, about 4 km (2.5 mi) north of White Head, Northern Ireland. This magnificent tower is a proud example of Ireland's maritime heritage and was built in 1902, in the glory days of Belfast's shipping. The 15.5 m (51 ft) octagonal cylindrical granite tower is attached by a covered walkway to 2-story keeper's house. Additional keeper's houses and other buildings are available for vacation rental. The lighthouse was automated in 1979 and remains as impressive and powerful a navigation aid as ever.

SWEDEN

Lindsorts lighthouse is Sweden's oldest light station established in 1651. The actual 25 m (82 ft) white cylindrical tower was built in 1689 with an upper conical iron section added in 1870. The lighthouse was electrified in 1938 and automated in 1963. Landsort is the southern tip of Öja, a narrow island about 2.2 km (1.4 mi) long aligned north to south so that it commands the approaches to Nynäshamn and Stockholm. The island is accessible by passenger ferry from Nynäshamn.

JAPAN

In Japanese, the word for a lighthouse is tōdai or toudai. This 14 m (46 ft) octagonal cylindrical steel tower is located at the harbour of Takamatsu, Shikoku island, Japan. The red lighthouse located at the end of a 500 m (1650 ft) pier has a nickname; the Seto Marker. It is the world's first lighthouse made of glass bricks. The entire lighthouse shines red when it gets dark: the glass tiles light in unison with the main light in the lantern.

SWEDEN

The Kullen Lighthouse is an operational lighthouse located at the end of the long Kullaberg peninsula, in Höganäs, Skane County, on the south-west coast of Sweden. The present tower is the most powerful Scandinavian lighthouse, with a range of 50 km (30 mi) overlooking one of the world's most heavily traveled waters. The first lighthouse station was established here by King Frederick II in 1561. The present lighthouse was designed by the Swedish architect Magnus Dahlander in 1898: a 15 m (49 ft) round granite tower attached to a 2-story service building. The lighthouse was automated in 1979, but is one of few remaining staffed with a lighthouse keeper. The light is situated within the Kullaberg Nature Reserve, a cliff and forest habitat for a variety of rare species, criss-crossed by numerous hiking trails.