Thursday, December 22, 2011

UKRAINE

Vladimir Grigoryevich Shukhov was a Russian engineer and architect renowned for his pioneering works on hyperboloid towers. The Adziogol Lighthouse is one of his remarkable structures designed on 1910 and first lit on June 14th, 1911. Also known as Stanislav Range Rear Light, the 64 m (210 ft) round skeletal steel tower is the tallest lighthouse in Ukraine. Its light can be seen for up to 17 nautical miles (31 km). It is located on a concrete pier on an islet off the mouth of the Dnepr River delta, about 30 kilometers (19 mi) from Kherson (46°29′32″N 32°13′57″E).
The main structure is a light circular steel web, tapering through a curve to the small beacon housing. Slender vertical members wrap around the column in a hyperbolic paraboloid, forming an open helical mesh. At the center of the web is a steel stair tower, giving a sense of solidity to the otherwise delicate structure.

RUSSIA

The Tokarevsky Lighthouse was built in 1910 to guide ships safely to the main Vladivostok harbor, in Russian Far East. The 12 m (39 ft.) white stone tower is located at the end of the mole at the southwestern tip of the Egersheld Peninsula.

NETHERLANDS

The Eierland Lighthouse is located on the northernmost tip of the Dutch island of Texel, near the village De Cocksdorp (53°10′55″N 4°51′19″E). Eierland was formerly a separate island, but it has been joined to Texel since 1630 by construction of sea dikes. The lighthouse construction began in July 1863 on a sand dune and it was first lit on November 1, 1864. The 35m (114 ft) round brick tower is painted red with the lantern and the watch room painted white. In the course of time the red color faded to pink, but in 2004 it was repainted in the original bright red. 
Electrified in 1927, the tower suffered heavy damages in April 1945, after one of the last WW II battles in Europe. The event known as the Georgian Uprising of Texel occurred when Georgian prisoners of war rebelled against their German captors and a bloodshed and destruction spread throughout the island. The tower was extensively repaired in 1948-49 and a new brick wall surrounded the damaged original. In this process the lighthouse lost two of its original nine floors and was reopened on March 24, 1950. The Eierland Light is almost year-round daily open to visitors and after climbing the 153-steps staircase (seven floors), one has a magnificent view over the Wadden and North Sea, the nearby island of Vlieland and Texel.

Friday, December 2, 2011

USA

On September 1, 1858 a 32 ft (10 m) round brick lighthouse was built on Mount Desert Island, Maine to mark the entrance to Bass Harbor and Blue Hill Harbor (44° 13’ 19”N  68° 20’ 14”W).  The cliffside Bass Harbor Head Lighthouse stands 56 ft (17 m) above sea level and its red light is visible for thirteen nautical miles. The 1-1/2 story wood keeper's house is used as a residence for Coast Guard personnel. Making part of the light station there are a boathouse, a pyramidal bell tower, a brick fog signal building, an oil house and a barn.  Electrified in 1949 and automated in 1974, the lighthouse is not open to the public.

FRANCE

For lighthouse enthusiasts like me, Brittany (Bretagne) is the paradise! The peninsula situated in the northwest of France, alongside the Atlantic Ocean has a rugged coastline, granite cliffs, dunes, white sandy beaches and numerous islands. All these natural landscapes are home of historic and wonderful lighthouses.
On the postcard four beautiful lighthouses of the Finistère Department: the black and white Phare du Créac'h at the northwestern tip of the Île d'Ouessant; the round stone Phare du Four located on a rock near Argenton; the red and white Phare des Pierres-Noires on an islet southeast of Île Molène; the square granite Phare de la Vieille on the rock of Gorlebella, in the strait Raz de Sein.

CROATIA

By the 19th century the Austro-Hungarian Empire had erected 48 lighthouses in the islands of the Adriatic Sea, locating them near strategic shipping lanes. Sveti Ivan na pučini (St. John out in the sea) Lighthouse is located on a rocky islet about 4 km (2.5 mi) southwest of Rovinj, on the western coast of the Istrian peninsula 45° 02" 39' N   13° 36" 47'  E. Built in 1853, the 15 m (49 ft) octagonal cylindrical stone tower is attached to a 2-story stone keeper's house. Making part of the light station there are a depot, an engine room, a wharf, a boat hoist and a boat shelter. The cream-colored stone tower was automated in 1983 and is supplied by 24 V DC solar modules or electric generator. Its white flash light has a range of 24 nautical miles. After its independence in 1991, Croatia refurbished several of the lighthouses and assigned them double-duty as inns. Today, 11 Croatian lighthouses, including Sveti Ivan, are available for vacation rental.

Sunday, November 20, 2011

POLAND

Świnoujście is a city and seaport on the Baltic Sea located in the extreme north-west of Poland, close to the German border.  Stawa Młyny is one of the symbols of Swinoujscie, as part of the official logo of the city. The 11 m (36 ft) round cylindrical brick tower is a navigation beacon in the shape of a windmill. Built in 1873, it is located at the end of the west breakwater at the mouth of the Świna River.  The front (seaward) side of the white tower has four large white windmill vanes, but they do not turn in the wind. LAT: 53° 56.0' N  LON: 014° 17.0' E

Monday, November 14, 2011

GERMANY

The Isle of Fehmarn lies in the Baltic Sea, off the eastern coast of Schleswig-Holstein, between Germany and Denmark, separating the Kiel Bay and the Mecklenburg Bay.  The Fehmarn-Belt-Waterway had been one of the most important shipping routes in the Baltic Sea in the last few centuries and still has great importance in our days for the passage from the Baltic Sea to the North Sea. Fehmarn, which belonged to the Danish Kingdom in the 19th century, has an area of nearly 180 square miles and the Danish, and later the German built lighthouses at all corners of the island.
Three lighthouses face the German mainland: the tallest Flügge Light (54°26.456'N/11°01.060'E) lies at the southwestern tip of the island; the “little white” Strukkamphuk Light (54°24.562'N/11°05.736'E) stands near the Fehmarnsund Bridge and the Staberhuk Light (54°24.155'/ 11°18.651'E) is located on the southeastern point of Fehmarn.
The Westermarkelsdorf Light (54°31.641'N/11°03.484'E) shines in the northwest of the isle marking the western entrance to the Fehmarn Belt. The old and the new Marienleuchte Lights (54°29.698'N/ 11°14.293'E) stand at the island’s northeastern corner near the ferry terminal at Puttgarden, where ferries link Fehmarn to Denmark.

Sunday, November 13, 2011

BELGIUM

Nieuwpoort is a Belgium city located by the sea close to the Dutch border, in the province of West Flanders. In Nieuwpoort, the Yser River flows into the North Sea. The first light station in Nieuwpoort dates back to 1863, but this tower was destroyed in World War I. A second lighthouse was commissioned in 1926 and had the same fate being destroyed on September 7, 1944 during World War II. The current 29 m (95 ft) conical concrete tower with red and white bands was first lit on March 21, 1949. A 2-story keeper's house is attached to the tower and both stands at the eastern side of the mouth of the Yser (51°09.300' N 2°43.900' E). The double gallery tower was automated in 1986 and its red flash light has a range of 16 nautical miles.

IRELAND

Old Head is one of the major lighthouses on the South Irish coast and also serves as a guide to the entrance of Kinsale Harbor. It is located at the end of a narrow, rocky peninsula about 20 km (12 mi) south of Kinsale (51°36.287' N  08°32.018' W). The 31 m (100 ft) round masonry tower was first lit on October 1, 1853 and painted white with two red bands. The color scheme was changed to black with two white bands during the summer of 1930. The light source was a multi-concentric wick oil lamp at the focus of a first order dioptric lens with a range of 21 miles (33km). The light station had 2-story keeper's houses and other buildings enclosed by a stone wall.
The light was converted from vapourised paraffin to electric on April 25, 1972 and the intensity of the light was increased giving a range of 25 nautical miles.  On April 1, 1987 the Old Head of Kinsale Lighthouse was converted to unwatched automatic operation and the keepers were withdrawn.
In the 1990s a golf club, the Old Head Golf Links, was built on the Old Head; the light station now stands behind the green of the fourth hole, which is called the Razor's Edge.  Since the golf course opened, access to the Old Head of Kinsale has been restricted to golfers and guests only, and there has been a long-running campaign for the restoration of public access. The Old Head's lighthouse/golf matter has been controversial, but the Irish Supreme Court has confirmed the golf club's right to close access through its property.

Saturday, November 12, 2011

FINLAND

Remmarholmen Lighthouse is located on Reimarisaari, a small island off the southwestern tip of the larger island of Vallisaari, about 3.5 km (2 mi) southeast of Helsinki (60° 7'52" N  24°59'38" E). The 5 m (17 ft) round concrete tower lies beside the main ship route into the harbor of the Finnish capital.

GERMANY

Pellworm is one of the North Frisian Islands on the North Sea coast of Germany. The landscape of the south side of the island is dominated by the 41 m (135 ft) round cast iron tower, painted red with one white horizontal band. Built in 1907, the lighthouse was assembled from 600 individual steel components and held together by 16,000 bolts. This tower is practically identical to two other lighthouses in North Friesland: the Hörnum on Sylt and Westheversand, on the Eiderstedt peninsula). Since it was first commissioned in 1907, Pellworm lighthouse has been electrically powered and was automated in 1977. In August 2002, the original Fresnel lens has been replaced by a modern light cannon with a six-time-changer, whose halogen bulbs burn for 2000 hours. The 2-story keeper's house is used as a registrar's office; this lighthouse, like Westheversand, is popular for weddings. During the summer season, the lighthouse is open for guided tours when you can ascend the 140 steps to the double gallery (54° 29' 46'' N 008° 39' 57'' E).

Saturday, November 5, 2011

NETHERLANDS

Egmond aan Zee is a village on the North Sea coast in the Dutch province of North Holland. Due to the treacherous sea near Egmond and several shipwrecks along that coast, King William I ordered the construction of a lighthouse in Egmond. Built in 1834/1835, the 28 m (92 ft) round brick tower was first lit on September 30, 1835 and was declared a Dutch memorial to Lieutenant Jan van Speyk.  Jan Carolus Josephus van Speijk blew up his own ship to prevent it from falling into the hands of Belgian revolutionaries at Antwerp on February 5, 1831. The tower was electrified in 1922 and completely renovated in 1968 after being declared as a rijksmonument (National Heritage Site of the Netherlands).  The lighthouse is open to public visits by appointment and is located on the seaside boulevard at the foot of Van Speijkstraat in Egmond aan Zee (52°37′8″N 4°37′18″E).

AUSTRALIA

Cape Leeuwin is the most south-westerly mainland point of the Australian Continent, in the state of Western Australia. The first known ship to have visited this area is the Leeuwin ("Lioness"), a Dutch vessel that charted some of the nearby coastline in 1622. The 39 m (128 ft.) round limestone tower was first lit on December 1, 1896 and is one of Australia's best known lighthouses. It stands at the end of a narrow peninsula with spectacular views of the Indian Ocean to the north and the Southern Ocean to the south.
The light was totally manually operated until 1982 when it was converted to electricity replacing the clockwork mechanism & kerosene burner, one of the last in the world. Automated in September 1992, it also serves as an important automatic weather station. Originally unpainted, the tower had the natural stone color of Tamala limestone and in 2003, after being completely renovated, was painted white. Guided tours are conducted daily at the lighthouse and visitors can climb the 186 steps and seven floors to achieve the gallery and a wonderful view of the cape.

GERMANY

The island of Sylt is located on the German North Sea coast, in the area known as North Frisia, near the Danish border. North Frisia is part of Schleswig-Holstein, Germany's northernmost state. This area was ruled by Denmark until 1864. There are three surviving lighthouses established under Danish rule on the island of Sylt.  The List West Lighthouse is one of these lighthouses built in 1858 by the Danish government to guide ships through the channel between Sylt and the adjacent (and still Danish) island of Rømø. The 11 m (36 ft) white cast iron tower is the northernmost lighthouse in Germany and also the oldest lighthouse on the west coast of Schleswig-Holstein. Automated in 1977, the light is located at a long sand spit which is a protected natural area, at the northwest corner of the island.   55° 03` 10" N  008° 24` 05" E

FRANCE

The Batz Island Lighthouse is located is located towards the western tip of the island (48° 44' 46" N  04° 01' 39" W) and was built between 1832 and 1836. The 43 m (141 ft) round stone tower rises from the center of a 1-story stone keeper's house and was inaugurated on October 10, 1836. Electrified in 1939 and automated in 1995, the lighthouse offers an extraordinary panoramic view after climbing up its 198 steps to the balcony. Its lantern is located at 67 meters (219 ft) above sea level and has a range of 42km (23 mi).

Saturday, October 29, 2011

ISLE OF MAN

The Isle of Man is a large island in the Irish Sea very roughly equidistant from southwestern Scotland, northwestern England, and northeastern Ireland. Port Erin is a quiet seaside resort in the south of the island popular for those seeking a relaxed holiday with superb coastal scenery and many fine walks. The Port Erin Range Front Lighthouse is an 11 m (36 ft) octagonal concrete tower painted white with a single red horizontal band. It is located on the waterfront in Port Erin, at the southwestern corner of the island. Lat 54 05.3 N Lon 04 46.3 W

FINLAND

Åland is an archipelago lying off the southwestern corner of Finland and stretching across the entrance to the Gulf of Bothnia from the Baltic Sea. The great majority of the residents are Swedish by language and heritage (the islands were part of Sweden until 1809). Åland is an autonomous province of Finland, has its own national flag and issues its own postage stamps.
Åland Postal Service issued on June 6, 2008 four lighthouse stamps and their respective maximum cards. The Kökarsören Lighthouse was a square skeletal tower built in 1906 and located atop a small island about 10 km (6 mi) southeast of the city of Kökar.  In 1983, the lighthouse had deteriorated to such a degree that it had to be demolished and replaced by a modern lighthouse. The postcard depicts the original skeletal lighthouse and the engraved stamp brings in its background a map and the position of the tower (59 46,1 N 21 01,3 E)

USA

The Absecon Light is a coastal lighthouse located in the north end of Atlantic City, New Jersey overlooking Absecon Inlet. The station’s name, Absecon, honors an Indian tribe that at one time lived on the New Jersey coast. The 169 ft (51.5 m) brick tower was first lit on January 15, 1857 and is the third tallest masonry lighthouse in the United States. Electrified in July 1925, the light station still retains its original first order fixed Fresnel lens. The lighthouse succumbed to what is often described as progress: by 1933 Absecon could no longer be distinguished from the lights of Atlantic City. It was deactivated on July 11, 1933 and remained inactive 64 years. A major restoration of the tower was completed in 1998 and the keeper’s house was reconstructed and opened in October 2001. Nowadays the lighthouse is privately maintained and open to the public: after ascending the 228 steps of the tower amazing views of the Atlantic City skyline wait for you.

USA

The cold Labrador Current and the warm Gulf Stream oppose each other just off Cape Hatteras, in the Outer Banks of North Carolina coast.  This current forces ships into a dangerous twelve-mile long sandbar called Diamond Shoals. Hundreds of shipwrecks in this area have given it the reputation as the “Graveyard of the Atlantic”. The first lighthouse (95 ft/29m) in Cape Hatteras was lit in October of 1803, but it was considered unsatisfactory during haze or low fog. In 1854, it was extended to 150 ft (48 m) and was fitted with a new first order Fresnel lens. But this first light station was never considered adequate and the construction of the current Cape Hatteras lighthouse began in 1868.
The new 200 ft (61 m) round brick tower was first lit on December 1, 1870 and is the tallest U.S. lighthouse. Mounted on an octagonal red brick base the light received a distinctive black and white spiral pattern and its light can be seen for 24 miles (39 km) out at sea. Due to erosion of the shore, once almost a third of a mile from the Atlantic, the Cape Hatteras Light teetered at the very edge of the tides by the late 1990s.  In 1999, a $12 million relocation and restoration project moved the entire light station 2900 ft (885 m) southwest in 23 days. For lighthouse enthusiasts like me, Cape Hatteras still stands 208 years after its construction and we can climb the 248 steps to the gallery and the lantern. The lighthouse is located just off Route 12, near the village of Buxton, and is part of Cape Hatteras National Seashore. 35°1502N 75°3143.7W

Saturday, September 17, 2011

FINLAND

Rönnskär Lighthouse is the second oldest light in Finland and is located on a small island at Kirkkonummi, 30 km (19 mi) from Helsinki. The original tower was built in 1800 by Sweden and destroyed during the war between Sweden and Russia in 1808-09. The second light, built on the same plans under Russian rule in 1814, was significantly heightened in 1828. The current lighthouse is a 27 m (89 ft) two-stage tower: the lower half is square cylindrical unpainted rubblestone, and the upper half is round cylindrical cut stone, painted white (59°56’23”N 24°23’10”E). In 1928, Rönnskär was replaced by the Porkkala lighthouse located 7.5 km (4.5 mi) north. The lantern was removed and radar and communications equipment was mounted atop the tower. Despite being decommissioned, the tower is in good condition.

ISRAEL

Eilat Lighthouse is located on a bluff on the west side of the Gulf of Aqaba, about 7 kilometers (4.3 mi) southwest of the port of Eilat, Israel and 1.2 kilometers (0.75 mi) northeast of the Egyptian border (29° 30' 00" N 34° 55' 00" E). It is a 9 m (30 ft) round 5-legged skeletal tower painted white with black trim and a black band around each of the legs.

Saturday, August 20, 2011

GERMANY

Silt is the largest German island in the North Sea, occupying an area of about 38 square miles. When Sylt belonged to the Danish realm in 1853, King Frederick VII ordered the construction of a lighthouse on Sylt's highest elevation, the red cliff, in the northern third of the island (54.946197°N 8.340836°E). The 40 m (131 ft.) round stone tower was first lit on June 4, 1856 and originally constructed using yellow stones from the island of Bornholm in the Baltic Sea.  The tower was reinforced with iron rings in 1875 and still bears the royal crest of Frederick VII of Denmark. Until 1953 the lighthouse used to be greyish-yellow when the current black and white pattern was applied. The light station was electrified in 1929 and automated in 1977. The lighthouse was called by its Danish name Rotes Kliff (red cliff) until 1975, when the name was changed to Kampen, the name of the nearby village. In 2006, Kampen celebrated the 150th anniversary of its famous lighthouse after being completely renovated and freshly painted.

GERMANY

Mecklenburg-Vorpommern is a federal state in northern Germany facing the Baltic Sea with steep bluffs, beaches with fine sand dunes and islands such as Rügen and Usedom. From the end of World War II until the reunification of Germany in 1991, it was part of the German Democratic Republic (East Germany). Mecklenburg includes the western portion of this coast (the Wismar, Warnemünde, and Rostock areas), while Vorpommern (Lower or Western Pomerania) includes the eastern section from the Stralsund area to the Polish border. The postcard features eight beautiful lighthouses (“schöne leuchttürme“) of the German northeastern coast.

Thursday, August 18, 2011

NORWAY

Feistein Lighthouse is situated on a flat island near Klepp, southwestern coast of Norway and was lit for the first time in 1859 - when it was simply mounted in a tower on top of a house. The current 25 m (82 ft.) round cast iron tower was first lit in June 1915. The red and white lighthouse is attached to a 2-story keeper's house and connected to another keeper’s house by a raised walkway. The lighthouse was automated in 1989 and the keeper’s houses are available for overnight accommodations. The buildings that remain today, the lighthouse tower, lighthouse keeper's residence, the annex, boatshed and a smithy are preserved as cultural heritage buildings.

USA

Just offshore on Florida’s southwest coast, 12-mile long Sanibel Island today is regarded as a vacation paradise by lovers of white sand, turquoise water, fresh seafood and plentiful seashells. Located on the eastern tip of the island, the Sanibel Island Lighthouse is a 102 ft (31 m) square pyramidal skeletal tower first lit on August 20, 1884. A central metal-walled cylinder provides access to the lantern via a winding staircase of 127 steps. Two nearby keeper’s house were built on piles to protect them from storm-driven high waters. This lighthouse was the first of a class of skeletal lighthouses built in many parts of the country, especially in Florida. In April 1949, the light station was automated (fed from acetylene gas) and only in 1962 was electrified.

USA

The Ponce Inlet Lighthouse is the tallest lighthouse in Florida and the second tallest masonry lighthouse in the nation. It is located in the town of Ponce Inlet, Florida, on the north bank of Ponce Inlet where the Halifax and Indian Rivers flow into the Atlantic Ocean. Using red brick shipped south from Baltimore, construction crews erected in four years an impressive 175 ft (53 m) tower, first lit on November 1, 1887. In 1933, the tower light was electrified and the original first-order fixed lens was replaced by a 3rd order Fresnel lens. In 1953, the lighthouse was completely automated. In 1970, the Coast Guard discontinued the light station and established a new light at the Coast Guard Station on the south side of the Inlet.
After decades of restoration the Ponce de Leon Inlet Lighthouse was recommissioned in 1983 and stands today as one of the best preserved most complete Light Stations in the nation. In 1998 the light station was designated a National Historic Landmark as one of only a handful of 19th Century Light Stations to have all its original buildings still intact. The light and the museum are open to the public year round and visitors can climb 203 steps to the top of the tower.

NEW ZEALAND

The Cape Reinga lighthouse stands on a spectacular site overlooking the meeting of the Pacific Ocean and the Tasman Sea, at the northern extremity of New Zealand. First lit in 1941, this lighthouse replaced the Maria Van Diemen Lighthouse built in 1879 on nearby Motuopao Island. The 10 m (33 ft) octagonal concrete tower with black lantern roof was originally powered by diesel-generated electricity. The station was automated and the last keeper was withdrawn in 1987. In April 2000, the light was powered from battery banks charged by solar panels. Approximately 10,000 people visit the Cape Reinga lighthouse each year.

Saturday, August 13, 2011

NETHERLANDS

 Vlissingen is a city in the southwestern Netherlands in Zeeland province. With its strategic location between the Scheldt River and the North Sea, Vlissingen has been an important harbour for centuries and has a rich maritime heritage. In the 17th century Vlissingen was a main harbour for ships of the Dutch East India Company. Vlissingen is mainly noted for the wharves on the Scheldt where most of the ships of the Royal Netherlands Navy (Koninklijke Marine) are built.
 Vlissingen is the birthplace of Michiel de Ruyter, the most famous and one of the most skilled admirals in Dutch history. On March 24, 2007 the city celebrated with a large ship parade, the 400th anniversary of birth of its famous citizen.
The 11 m (36 ft) pentagonal pyramidal red cast iron lighthouse is located on the west mole on the Boulevard de Ruyter, marking the entrance to the old commercial harbor (Koopmanshaven) of Vlissingen.

USA

Situated on a cliff 185 ft above the blue Pacific, the cylindrical white Point Vicente Lighthouse is crowned by a handsome lantern with cross-hatched windows. The 67 ft (20 m) concrete tower was first lit on April 14, 1926 and its original 3rd order Fresnel lens is still in use. Automated in 1971, the well preserved light station is open to the public the second Saturday of each month and is allowed to climb the tower's 74 steps. The lighthouse is located north of Terranea Resort, next to Point Vicente Interpretive Center, off Palos Verdes Drive in Rancho Palos Verdes, California.

USA

Located in the heart of Florida's Gold Coast the city of Pompano Beach houses the beautiful Hillsboro Inlet Lighthouse, on the north side of Hillsboro Inlet. The light marks the northern limit of the Florida Reef, an underwater coral formation on the lower east coast of the state.
The pyramidal tower was built at Russel Wheel & Foundry Co in Detroit, Michigan, and was shipped via Lake Erie, Lake Michigan, Illinois and Mississippi River, to the Gulf of Mexico on a 4,000 nautical-mile trip. The 137 ft (42 m) octagonal pyramidal skeletal tower with a central cylinder was assembled and erected in 1906 and first lit on March 7, 1907. Electrified in 1932 and fully automated in 1974, the lighthouse is considered one of the most powerful lights in the world with a beam that can be seen 28 miles (45 km). The nine-foot diameter Fresnel Lens stopped rotating due to a failure of the electric drive mechanism in 1992. After hard work and expensive repairs the original 2nd order Fresnel lens was relit on August 18, 2000.

Friday, July 22, 2011

GERMANY

Warnemünde (means Warnow mouth) is a sea resort and city situated on the Baltic Sea in the northeast of Germany at the estuary of the river Warnow. The city is a centre of maritime traffic and is known for its historic lighthouse located in a public square near the west bank of the river.
The postcard shows the 12 m (40 ft) round metal tower built in 1998 and painted red with a white horizontal band between the galleries. This lighthouse is located on the east mole at the entrance to the river Warnow. There is a similar green lighthouse on the west mole and both are locally known as Die Zwillinge (the twins).

FRANCE

The French port of Sète was built by Colbert in 1666, as the Mediterranean entrance of the Canal du Midi. The Môle Saint Louis, built in 1669, is the historic breakwater mole sheltering the port and the canal entrance.  The first light station in Sète was constructed by Vauban in 1684. The original tower was rebuilt a few years later when the mole was extended; that tower served until a taller lighthouse was built in February 1861. The present lighthouse is a copy of the 1861 lighthouse, which was destroyed on August 19, 1944 during World War II. The 31 m (101 ft) round white masonry tower is located at the end of the mole.

GREECE

Chania is the second largest city of Crete and lies along the north coast of the Greek island. In 1212 A.D. the Venetians conquered Crete. Then they decided to build a new city on the remains of ancient Kydonia. They built the port and a lighthouse was established around 1570.
In 1830 England handed Crete over to Egypt. The 26 m (85 ft) round cylindrical stone tower was built by the Egyptians in 1864, at the end of the breakwater mole on the east side of the entrance to the harbor. Its magnificent cylindrical shape with unpainted white stones remembers a minaret with an internal stairway that leads to a balcony with a glass tower. In 2006 a thorough restoration was carried out and the lighthouse is a landmark at this charming historical city.

SINGAPORE

The Straits of Johor is a strait that separates the Malaysian state of Johor to the north from Singapore to the south. The Johor Straits Lighthouse marks the western entrance to the strait and is located at a marina, just west of the Second Link Expressway Bridge. The 12 m (39 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower was built in 1958.

ENGLAND

Beachy Head is a chalk headland on the south coast of England, close to the town of Eastbourne in the county of East Sussex. The fabulous white cliff on the postcard is the highest chalk sea cliff in Britain, rising to 162 m (530 ft) above sea level. Beachy Head Lighthouse was first lit in 1902, sited about 165 meters seawards from the base of the cliffs. It was built to replace the decommissioned Belle Toute Lighthouse located 2.5 km (1.5 mi) east of this place.
The 43 m (141 ft) tapered round granite tower was mounted on a square concrete pier and painted white with a broad red horizontal band. Electrified in 1920, the tower was automated and demanned in June 1983. In January 2010 Trinity House proposed to deactivate this light, but following opposition from local boaters it agreed in May to continue the light at reduced power.

INDONESIA

Semarang is one of Indonesia's ten major cities and is in the central part of the north coast of Java. Tanjung Emas is the name of its port, around which lies the city's oldest buildings, some of which date back to the Dutch colonial era or older. The Semarang Lighthouse is located on a promontory on the east side of the harbor and was built in 1883 during Dutch colony. It is a 30 m (98 ft) 12-sided cast iron tower painted white.

USA

Navigation on the lake has been aided since the nineteenth century by lighthouses dotting the Ohio shoreline. The historic Marblehead Lighthouse (left on the card), built in 1821, is the oldest U.S. lighthouse on the Great Lakes and is by far the state's best known lighthouse. On the left, the historic and restored Fairport Harbor Lighthouse built in 1871, which houses the first Great Lakes lighthouse marine museum in the state of Ohio, as well as in the United States. The postcard presents on the center, from the top to the bottom, Lorain Lighthouse (the "Jewel of the Port") built in 1917; Cleveland Harbor Lighthouse built in 1911 and Mentor Headlands Lighthouse built in 1925.

SOUTH AFRICA

Cape Recife Lighthouse is situated at the southern entrance to Nelson Mandela Bay (Algoa Bay), adjacent to the Cape Recife Nature Reserve and about 20 km (12 mi) southeast of Port Elizabeth, South Africa. The 24 m (79 ft) octagonal brick tower is painted with black and white bands equipped with a radio beacon, fog signal and attached to 1-story keeper's house. It is South Africa's third oldest lighthouse, first lit on April 1, 1851 on a rocky promontory surrounded by sand dunes and a variety of birdlife, mainly a penguin sanctuary. The tower is opened to guided tours.

GERMANY

The Roter Sand Lighthouse is located in the North Sea off the entrance to the Weser, about 10 km east of Wangerooge, Germany. This is one of the world's great waveswept lighthouses and the construction of the tower posed enormous difficulties; the first attempt failed when a storm overturned the incomplete caisson in October 1881. The 28 m (92 ft) round cast iron, brick lined tower painted with red and white horizontal bands was inaugurated in 1885. The light was downgraded in 1964, when Alte Weser took over its function as the landfall light for Bremerhaven and the light was finally deactivated in 1986. Since 1999, after a large restoration, the tower has been open for day tours and overnight stays.

Friday, May 27, 2011

USA

Near the border between North Carolina and Virginia coasts, the mighty Gulf Stream sweeps in close to the mainland. To avoid fighting its powerful current, captains steered their ships perilously close to land. To warn mariners to keep safe distance, US Lighthouse Board first lit on December 1, 1875 the Currituck Beach Lighthouse filling the remaining "dark space" on the North Carolina coast between the Cape Henry Lighthouse to the north and Bodie Island to the south. The light is located on the Outer Banks in Corolla, North Carolina and was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1973.
The 162 ft (49 m) unpainted round red brick tower still holds the original first-order Fresnel lens and the Victorian style wood keeper´s house is under a complete three decades restoration process. A smaller dwelling on the north side of the light (probably the residence for a third keeper and his family) was restored and serves as visitor center and a museum shop. The lighthouse was automated in 1939. Visitors can climb the tower’s 214 steps during warm-weather months (from Easter through Thanksgiving). Winter months provide time for restoration and maintenance.

CROATIA

Murter and Kornati archipelago in Croatia consists of 189 islands, cliffs, reefs and rocks and it is one of the most beautiful areas on the Adriatic Sea. The islet of Prisnjak is only some 300 m from the western coast of the island of Murter. In 1886, a lighthouse was built on the islet in order to make it easier for captains to navigate in the Murter archipelago. It consists of a 15 m (49 ft) octagonal white stone tower and a ground floor stone keeper's house with a red tile roof. The house is available for vacation rental. The electricity is supplied from 220 V AC solar modules, while water is supplied from a cistern. The lighthouse has a system for water heating based on solar modules. It is automated and included into remote control system.

Thursday, April 21, 2011

USA

The St. Marks Light is the second oldest light station in Florida, located on the east side of the mouth of the St. Marks River, on Apalachee Bay. The first lighthouse was built in 1831, but erosion forced the tower to be rebuilt with double walls in its present location in 1842. The 73 ft (22 m) white brick tower is attached to a 1-story brick keeper's house and rests on a 12 foot thick limestone base.  Eighty-five steps spiral up the brick tower to the lantern room, the first seventy-two are wood and the last thirteen are iron. The lantern room still contains the Fresnel lens installed in 1867, but its light was extinguished in 2000 and replaced by a modern solar powered light. The lighthouse is within the St. Marks National Wildlife Refuge, about 25 miles south of Tallahassee along the Gulf Coast of Florida.

RUSSIA

This beautiful sunset image shows the lighthouse located on the breakwater of the harbor at Sochi, Russia.  The 16 m (52 ft) round masonry tower (painted red with one white horizontal band) stands at the mouth of Sochi River, exactly where its muddy water enters the Black Sea.

NORWAY

The Eigerøy Lighthouse was erected in 1853-54 and first lit on November 16, 1854. It is Norway's first cast-iron light tower, prefabricated at Baerums Verk steel-works, and stands on an island, about 12 km (7.5 mi) west of Egersund. Cast iron towers proved eminently suitable for Norwegian weather and maritime conditions. The 33 m (108 ft) round cast iron tower is attached to a 2-story service building and painted red with one white horizontal band. At the top of the tower is still the great first-order lens from 1897. Automated in 1989, Eigerøy is fully operational and is open to visitors who have access to the lamp room after climbing 134 steps. The lighthouse is excellent for a day trip, by car or by boat and is open on Sundays during the summer.

ESTONIA

Vormsi Island is Estonia’s fourth largest island. The island is located in northwestern Estonia at the Gulf of Finland and was historically inhabited by coastal Swedes. This is the reason for many of the place names end in "by" which is the Scandinavian word for town. Located about 2 km (1.2 mi) west of the town of Saxby, the 24 m (79 ft) round cast iron tower was built in 1871.

SOUTH AFRICA

Namibia is the country formerly called South West Africa. During the World War I in 1915, South Africa occupied the territory and remained in control for the next 75 years.

Pelican Point Lighthouse is located at a peninsula in the western side of Walvis Bay, Namibia. Built in 1932, the 34 m (112 ft) round cast iron tower is painted with black and white horizontal bands. The adjacent 3-story building, apparently abandoned now, was a harbor control center and light keeper’s house.

SOUTH AFRICA

Umhlanga Rocks Lighthouse was first lit on November, 24th 1954 to replace the Bluff lighthouse, which was commissioned in 1869 but had to be abandoned due to its rapid deterioration. The 21 m (69 ft) cylindrical concrete tower stands 21m above the beach and guides ships into the safety of the Durban harbor.

SOUTH AFRICA

Cape Agulhas Lighthouse is South Africa's third oldest light station, first lit on March 1st, 1849. The 27 m (89 ft) sandstone tower, painted white with two red horizontal bands, rises through the center of a 1-story keeper's house.