Sunday, January 16, 2011
Tel Aviv Lighthouse, also known as Tel Kudadi Light, is an inactive lighthouse in Tel Aviv, Israel. It is located near the beach on the north side of the Yarkon River Estuary, on the foot of the Tel Aviv South Breakwater. The tower was built by British authorities in 1934-1935 to help ships approaching the shore pass local sandbars safely. The 17 m (56 ft) square cylindrical concrete tower was painted in a black and white checkerboard pattern. In 1965, when Tel Aviv port was officially closed due to the opening of the Ashdod Port in the south, the light was shut down.