Sunday, January 30, 2011
The Detroit River Lighthouse is located seven miles off the city of Gibraltar, Michigan, where the Detroit River widens into Lake Erie. In July 1884, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers built a crib and a pier at the river and finally the tower was first lit on August 20, 1885. The 49 ft (15 m) round cast iron tower incorporates a 2-story keeper's house and is attached to a 1-story fog signal building. The upper half of the lighthouse is painted black, lower half white; the roof of the fog signal building is red. The tower was rebuilt in 1951 and automated in March 1975. The lighthouse is located in the midst of one of the busiest shipping lanes in the world and operates one hour before sunset to one hour after sunrise.