Saturday, February 5, 2011

USA

The Huron Islands are a group of eight small, rocky islands in Lake Superior, located about three miles offshore from the mouth of the Huron River. Beginning mid-Nineteenth Century, with the copper boom in the Keweenaw Peninsula, the Huron Islands were a navigational hazard to vessels following the coast to/from Portage River, Michigan.  This area had been the site of numerous shipwrecks over the years.
Huron Island Lighthouse was built at the highest point on the West Huron Island with its light exhibited for the first time on the night of October 20, 1868. The 39 ft (12 m) square cylindrical granite tower is attached to 1-1/2 story granite keeper's house. The light station was electrified in 1930 and a solar-powered light installed in 1961. The station, listed on the National Registry of Historic Places in 1975, has been automated in 1972 and is still an active aid to navigation.