Saturday, March 26, 2011
Also known as the Grand Phare, Ras el Tin Lighthouse was constructed in 1842 by the engineer Mohamed Mazhar Pasha, and was first lit in 1848. The 55 m (180 ft) round cylindrical stone tower is located at the tip of the Ras El Tin peninsula and marks the entrance to the western harbor of Alexandria. This early photo shows a tower built with exposed stones which, during the renovation of 1919, was plastered and painted in horizontal black and white stripes. In 1954 it was converted to electricity and in 2000 an elevator was installed to reach the lantern room. The lighthouse is located within the headquarters of Egyptian Navy as well as the presidential palace of Ras el Tin, which are restricted areas accessed only by a special security permission.