Thursday, April 21, 2011

USA

The St. Marks Light is the second oldest light station in Florida, located on the east side of the mouth of the St. Marks River, on Apalachee Bay. The first lighthouse was built in 1831, but erosion forced the tower to be rebuilt with double walls in its present location in 1842. The 73 ft (22 m) white brick tower is attached to a 1-story brick keeper's house and rests on a 12 foot thick limestone base.  Eighty-five steps spiral up the brick tower to the lantern room, the first seventy-two are wood and the last thirteen are iron. The lantern room still contains the Fresnel lens installed in 1867, but its light was extinguished in 2000 and replaced by a modern solar powered light. The lighthouse is within the St. Marks National Wildlife Refuge, about 25 miles south of Tallahassee along the Gulf Coast of Florida.

RUSSIA

This beautiful sunset image shows the lighthouse located on the breakwater of the harbor at Sochi, Russia.  The 16 m (52 ft) round masonry tower (painted red with one white horizontal band) stands at the mouth of Sochi River, exactly where its muddy water enters the Black Sea.

NORWAY

The Eigerøy Lighthouse was erected in 1853-54 and first lit on November 16, 1854. It is Norway's first cast-iron light tower, prefabricated at Baerums Verk steel-works, and stands on an island, about 12 km (7.5 mi) west of Egersund. Cast iron towers proved eminently suitable for Norwegian weather and maritime conditions. The 33 m (108 ft) round cast iron tower is attached to a 2-story service building and painted red with one white horizontal band. At the top of the tower is still the great first-order lens from 1897. Automated in 1989, Eigerøy is fully operational and is open to visitors who have access to the lamp room after climbing 134 steps. The lighthouse is excellent for a day trip, by car or by boat and is open on Sundays during the summer.

ESTONIA

Vormsi Island is Estonia’s fourth largest island. The island is located in northwestern Estonia at the Gulf of Finland and was historically inhabited by coastal Swedes. This is the reason for many of the place names end in "by" which is the Scandinavian word for town. Located about 2 km (1.2 mi) west of the town of Saxby, the 24 m (79 ft) round cast iron tower was built in 1871.

SOUTH AFRICA

Namibia is the country formerly called South West Africa. During the World War I in 1915, South Africa occupied the territory and remained in control for the next 75 years.

Pelican Point Lighthouse is located at a peninsula in the western side of Walvis Bay, Namibia. Built in 1932, the 34 m (112 ft) round cast iron tower is painted with black and white horizontal bands. The adjacent 3-story building, apparently abandoned now, was a harbor control center and light keeper’s house.

SOUTH AFRICA

Umhlanga Rocks Lighthouse was first lit on November, 24th 1954 to replace the Bluff lighthouse, which was commissioned in 1869 but had to be abandoned due to its rapid deterioration. The 21 m (69 ft) cylindrical concrete tower stands 21m above the beach and guides ships into the safety of the Durban harbor.

SOUTH AFRICA

Cape Agulhas Lighthouse is South Africa's third oldest light station, first lit on March 1st, 1849. The 27 m (89 ft) sandstone tower, painted white with two red horizontal bands, rises through the center of a 1-story keeper's house.

SOUTH AFRICA

The  Green Point Lighthouse in Cape Town is a 16 m (52 ft) square 4-story brick tower painted white, with red and white diagonal bands. It was first lit on April 12, 1824 and is South Africa's oldest lighthouse.

USA

Bill Baggs Cape Florida State Park located at the southern tip of Key Biscayne is the home of the historic Cape Florida Lighthouse built in 1825. This light station is Florida's oldest; the original tower was gutted by fire during an attack by Seminole Indians in 1836. The present lighthouse was reconstructed in 1846, but the 95 ft (29 m) white brick tower was extinguished in 1878.
Hurricanes and tropical storms destroyed the keeper’s house and beach erosion endangered the lighthouse. In 1967, the Bill Baggs Cape Florida State Park was opened and it started the efforts and campaigns to restore the light. The 1-1/2 story brick keeper's house and other station buildings are replicas built in 1970.One hundred years after Cape Florida Light had been extinguished, it was re-lit on July 4, 1978.
In August 1992, Hurricane Andrew caused major damage to the tower. Once again the tower was extinguished and needed extensive repairs; the state again came to the rescue, restoring it in time for Miami’s Centennial Celebration in 1996.