Friday, July 22, 2011

GERMANY

Warnemünde (means Warnow mouth) is a sea resort and city situated on the Baltic Sea in the northeast of Germany at the estuary of the river Warnow. The city is a centre of maritime traffic and is known for its historic lighthouse located in a public square near the west bank of the river.
The postcard shows the 12 m (40 ft) round metal tower built in 1998 and painted red with a white horizontal band between the galleries. This lighthouse is located on the east mole at the entrance to the river Warnow. There is a similar green lighthouse on the west mole and both are locally known as Die Zwillinge (the twins).

FRANCE

The French port of Sète was built by Colbert in 1666, as the Mediterranean entrance of the Canal du Midi. The Môle Saint Louis, built in 1669, is the historic breakwater mole sheltering the port and the canal entrance.  The first light station in Sète was constructed by Vauban in 1684. The original tower was rebuilt a few years later when the mole was extended; that tower served until a taller lighthouse was built in February 1861. The present lighthouse is a copy of the 1861 lighthouse, which was destroyed on August 19, 1944 during World War II. The 31 m (101 ft) round white masonry tower is located at the end of the mole.

GREECE

Chania is the second largest city of Crete and lies along the north coast of the Greek island. In 1212 A.D. the Venetians conquered Crete. Then they decided to build a new city on the remains of ancient Kydonia. They built the port and a lighthouse was established around 1570.
In 1830 England handed Crete over to Egypt. The 26 m (85 ft) round cylindrical stone tower was built by the Egyptians in 1864, at the end of the breakwater mole on the east side of the entrance to the harbor. Its magnificent cylindrical shape with unpainted white stones remembers a minaret with an internal stairway that leads to a balcony with a glass tower. In 2006 a thorough restoration was carried out and the lighthouse is a landmark at this charming historical city.

SINGAPORE

The Straits of Johor is a strait that separates the Malaysian state of Johor to the north from Singapore to the south. The Johor Straits Lighthouse marks the western entrance to the strait and is located at a marina, just west of the Second Link Expressway Bridge. The 12 m (39 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower was built in 1958.

ENGLAND

Beachy Head is a chalk headland on the south coast of England, close to the town of Eastbourne in the county of East Sussex. The fabulous white cliff on the postcard is the highest chalk sea cliff in Britain, rising to 162 m (530 ft) above sea level. Beachy Head Lighthouse was first lit in 1902, sited about 165 meters seawards from the base of the cliffs. It was built to replace the decommissioned Belle Toute Lighthouse located 2.5 km (1.5 mi) east of this place.
The 43 m (141 ft) tapered round granite tower was mounted on a square concrete pier and painted white with a broad red horizontal band. Electrified in 1920, the tower was automated and demanned in June 1983. In January 2010 Trinity House proposed to deactivate this light, but following opposition from local boaters it agreed in May to continue the light at reduced power.

INDONESIA

Semarang is one of Indonesia's ten major cities and is in the central part of the north coast of Java. Tanjung Emas is the name of its port, around which lies the city's oldest buildings, some of which date back to the Dutch colonial era or older. The Semarang Lighthouse is located on a promontory on the east side of the harbor and was built in 1883 during Dutch colony. It is a 30 m (98 ft) 12-sided cast iron tower painted white.

USA

Navigation on the lake has been aided since the nineteenth century by lighthouses dotting the Ohio shoreline. The historic Marblehead Lighthouse (left on the card), built in 1821, is the oldest U.S. lighthouse on the Great Lakes and is by far the state's best known lighthouse. On the left, the historic and restored Fairport Harbor Lighthouse built in 1871, which houses the first Great Lakes lighthouse marine museum in the state of Ohio, as well as in the United States. The postcard presents on the center, from the top to the bottom, Lorain Lighthouse (the "Jewel of the Port") built in 1917; Cleveland Harbor Lighthouse built in 1911 and Mentor Headlands Lighthouse built in 1925.

SOUTH AFRICA

Cape Recife Lighthouse is situated at the southern entrance to Nelson Mandela Bay (Algoa Bay), adjacent to the Cape Recife Nature Reserve and about 20 km (12 mi) southeast of Port Elizabeth, South Africa. The 24 m (79 ft) octagonal brick tower is painted with black and white bands equipped with a radio beacon, fog signal and attached to 1-story keeper's house. It is South Africa's third oldest lighthouse, first lit on April 1, 1851 on a rocky promontory surrounded by sand dunes and a variety of birdlife, mainly a penguin sanctuary. The tower is opened to guided tours.

GERMANY

The Roter Sand Lighthouse is located in the North Sea off the entrance to the Weser, about 10 km east of Wangerooge, Germany. This is one of the world's great waveswept lighthouses and the construction of the tower posed enormous difficulties; the first attempt failed when a storm overturned the incomplete caisson in October 1881. The 28 m (92 ft) round cast iron, brick lined tower painted with red and white horizontal bands was inaugurated in 1885. The light was downgraded in 1964, when Alte Weser took over its function as the landfall light for Bremerhaven and the light was finally deactivated in 1986. Since 1999, after a large restoration, the tower has been open for day tours and overnight stays.