Saturday, August 13, 2011
Situated on a cliff 185 ft above the blue Pacific, the cylindrical white Point Vicente Lighthouse is crowned by a handsome lantern with cross-hatched windows. The 67 ft (20 m) concrete tower was first lit on April 14, 1926 and its original 3rd order Fresnel lens is still in use. Automated in 1971, the well preserved light station is open to the public the second Saturday of each month and is allowed to climb the tower's 74 steps. The lighthouse is located north of Terranea Resort, next to Point Vicente Interpretive Center, off Palos Verdes Drive in Rancho Palos Verdes, California.