Saturday, September 17, 2011
Rönnskär Lighthouse is the second oldest light in Finland and is located on a small island at Kirkkonummi, 30 km (19 mi) from Helsinki. The original tower was built in 1800 by Sweden and destroyed during the war between Sweden and Russia in 1808-09. The second light, built on the same plans under Russian rule in 1814, was significantly heightened in 1828. The current lighthouse is a 27 m (89 ft) two-stage tower: the lower half is square cylindrical unpainted rubblestone, and the upper half is round cylindrical cut stone, painted white (59°56’23”N 24°23’10”E). In 1928, Rönnskär was replaced by the Porkkala lighthouse located 7.5 km (4.5 mi) north. The lantern was removed and radar and communications equipment was mounted atop the tower. Despite being decommissioned, the tower is in good condition.
Eilat Lighthouse is located on a bluff on the west side of the Gulf of Aqaba, about 7 kilometers (4.3 mi) southwest of the port of Eilat, Israel and 1.2 kilometers (0.75 mi) northeast of the Egyptian border (29° 30' 00" N 34° 55' 00" E). It is a 9 m (30 ft) round 5-legged skeletal tower painted white with black trim and a black band around each of the legs.