Saturday, October 29, 2011
The Isle of Man is a large island in the Irish Sea very roughly equidistant from southwestern Scotland, northwestern England, and northeastern Ireland. Port Erin is a quiet seaside resort in the south of the island popular for those seeking a relaxed holiday with superb coastal scenery and many fine walks. The Port Erin Range Front Lighthouse is an 11 m (36 ft) octagonal concrete tower painted white with a single red horizontal band. It is located on the waterfront in Port Erin, at the southwestern corner of the island. Lat 54 05.3 N Lon 04 46.3 W
Åland is an archipelago lying off the southwestern corner of Finland and stretching across the entrance to the Gulf of Bothnia from the Baltic Sea. The great majority of the residents are Swedish by language and heritage (the islands were part of Sweden until 1809). Åland is an autonomous province of Finland, has its own national flag and issues its own postage stamps.
Åland Postal Service issued on June 6, 2008 four lighthouse stamps and their respective maximum cards. The Kökarsören Lighthouse was a square skeletal tower built in 1906 and located atop a small island about 10 km (6 mi) southeast of the city of Kökar. In 1983, the lighthouse had deteriorated to such a degree that it had to be demolished and replaced by a modern lighthouse. The postcard depicts the original skeletal lighthouse and the engraved stamp brings in its background a map and the position of the tower (59 46,1 N 21 01,3 E)
The Absecon Light is a coastal lighthouse located in the north end of Atlantic City, New Jersey overlooking Absecon Inlet. The station’s name, Absecon, honors an Indian tribe that at one time lived on the New Jersey coast. The 169 ft (51.5 m) brick tower was first lit on January 15, 1857 and is the third tallest masonry lighthouse in the United States. Electrified in July 1925, the light station still retains its original first order fixed Fresnel lens. The lighthouse succumbed to what is often described as progress: by 1933 Absecon could no longer be distinguished from the lights of Atlantic City. It was deactivated on July 11, 1933 and remained inactive 64 years. A major restoration of the tower was completed in 1998 and the keeper’s house was reconstructed and opened in October 2001. Nowadays the lighthouse is privately maintained and open to the public: after ascending the 228 steps of the tower amazing views of the Atlantic City skyline wait for you.
The cold Labrador Current and the warm Gulf Stream oppose each other just off Cape Hatteras, in the Outer Banks of North Carolina coast. This current forces ships into a dangerous twelve-mile long sandbar called Diamond Shoals. Hundreds of shipwrecks in this area have given it the reputation as the “Graveyard of the Atlantic”. The first lighthouse (95 ft/29m) in Cape Hatteras was lit in October of 1803, but it was considered unsatisfactory during haze or low fog. In 1854, it was extended to 150 ft (48 m) and was fitted with a new first order Fresnel lens. But this first light station was never considered adequate and the construction of the current Cape Hatteras lighthouse began in 1868.
The new 200 ft (61 m) round brick tower was first lit on December 1, 1870 and is the tallest U.S. lighthouse. Mounted on an octagonal red brick base the light received a distinctive black and white spiral pattern and its light can be seen for 24 miles (39 km) out at sea. Due to erosion of the shore, once almost a third of a mile from the Atlantic, the Cape Hatteras Light teetered at the very edge of the tides by the late 1990s. In 1999, a $12 million relocation and restoration project moved the entire light station 2900 ft (885 m) southwest in 23 days. For lighthouse enthusiasts like me, Cape Hatteras still stands 208 years after its construction and we can climb the 248 steps to the gallery and the lantern. The lighthouse is located just off Route 12, near the village of Buxton, and is part of Cape Hatteras National Seashore. 35°15′02″N 75°31′43.7″W