Sunday, November 20, 2011
Świnoujście is a city and seaport on the Baltic Sea located in the extreme north-west of Poland, close to the German border. Stawa Młyny is one of the symbols of Swinoujscie, as part of the official logo of the city. The 11 m (36 ft) round cylindrical brick tower is a navigation beacon in the shape of a windmill. Built in 1873, it is located at the end of the west breakwater at the mouth of the Świna River. The front (seaward) side of the white tower has four large white windmill vanes, but they do not turn in the wind. LAT: 53° 56.0' N LON: 014° 17.0' E
Monday, November 14, 2011
The Isle of Fehmarn lies in the Baltic Sea, off the eastern coast of Schleswig-Holstein, between Germany and Denmark, separating the Kiel Bay and the Mecklenburg Bay. The Fehmarn-Belt-Waterway had been one of the most important shipping routes in the Baltic Sea in the last few centuries and still has great importance in our days for the passage from the Baltic Sea to the North Sea. Fehmarn, which belonged to the Danish Kingdom in the 19th century, has an area of nearly 180 square miles and the Danish, and later the German built lighthouses at all corners of the island.Three lighthouses face the German mainland: the tallest Flügge Light (54°26.456'N/11°01.060'E) lies at the southwestern tip of the island; the “little white” Strukkamphuk Light (54°24.562'N/11°05.736'E) stands near the Fehmarnsund Bridge and the Staberhuk Light (54°24.155'/ 11°18.651'E) is located on the southeastern point of Fehmarn.
The Westermarkelsdorf Light (54°31.641'N/11°03.484'E) shines in the northwest of the isle marking the western entrance to the Fehmarn Belt. The old and the new Marienleuchte Lights (54°29.698'N/ 11°14.293'E) stand at the island’s northeastern corner near the ferry terminal at Puttgarden, where ferries link Fehmarn to Denmark.
Sunday, November 13, 2011
Nieuwpoort is a Belgium city located by the sea close to the Dutch border, in the province of West Flanders. In Nieuwpoort, the Yser River flows into the North Sea. The first light station in Nieuwpoort dates back to 1863, but this tower was destroyed in World War I. A second lighthouse was commissioned in 1926 and had the same fate being destroyed on September 7, 1944 during World War II. The current 29 m (95 ft) conical concrete tower with red and white bands was first lit on March 21, 1949. A 2-story keeper's house is attached to the tower and both stands at the eastern side of the mouth of the Yser (51°09.300' N 2°43.900' E). The double gallery tower was automated in 1986 and its red flash light has a range of 16 nautical miles.
Old Head is one of the major lighthouses on the South Irish coast and also serves as a guide to the entrance of Kinsale Harbor. It is located at the end of a narrow, rocky peninsula about 20 km (12 mi) south of Kinsale (51°36.287' N 08°32.018' W). The 31 m (100 ft) round masonry tower was first lit on October 1, 1853 and painted white with two red bands. The color scheme was changed to black with two white bands during the summer of 1930. The light source was a multi-concentric wick oil lamp at the focus of a first order dioptric lens with a range of 21 miles (33km). The light station had 2-story keeper's houses and other buildings enclosed by a stone wall.
The light was converted from vapourised paraffin to electric on April 25, 1972 and the intensity of the light was increased giving a range of 25 nautical miles. On April 1, 1987 the Old Head of Kinsale Lighthouse was converted to unwatched automatic operation and the keepers were withdrawn.
In the 1990s a golf club, the Old Head Golf Links, was built on the Old Head; the light station now stands behind the green of the fourth hole, which is called the Razor's Edge. Since the golf course opened, access to the Old Head of Kinsale has been restricted to golfers and guests only, and there has been a long-running campaign for the restoration of public access. The Old Head's lighthouse/golf matter has been controversial, but the Irish Supreme Court has confirmed the golf club's right to close access through its property.
Saturday, November 12, 2011
Remmarholmen Lighthouse is located on Reimarisaari, a small island off the southwestern tip of the larger island of Vallisaari, about 3.5 km (2 mi) southeast of Helsinki (60° 7'52" N 24°59'38" E). The 5 m (17 ft) round concrete tower lies beside the main ship route into the harbor of the Finnish capital.
Pellworm is one of the North Frisian Islands on the North Sea coast of Germany. The landscape of the south side of the island is dominated by the 41 m (135 ft) round cast iron tower, painted red with one white horizontal band. Built in 1907, the lighthouse was assembled from 600 individual steel components and held together by 16,000 bolts. This tower is practically identical to two other lighthouses in North Friesland: the Hörnum on Sylt and Westheversand, on the Eiderstedt peninsula). Since it was first commissioned in 1907, Pellworm lighthouse has been electrically powered and was automated in 1977. In August 2002, the original Fresnel lens has been replaced by a modern light cannon with a six-time-changer, whose halogen bulbs burn for 2000 hours. The 2-story keeper's house is used as a registrar's office; this lighthouse, like Westheversand, is popular for weddings. During the summer season, the lighthouse is open for guided tours when you can ascend the 140 steps to the double gallery (54° 29' 46'' N 008° 39' 57'' E).
Saturday, November 5, 2011
Egmond aan Zee is a village on the North Sea coast in the Dutch province of North Holland. Due to the treacherous sea near Egmond and several shipwrecks along that coast, King William I ordered the construction of a lighthouse in Egmond. Built in 1834/1835, the 28 m (92 ft) round brick tower was first lit on September 30, 1835 and was declared a Dutch memorial to Lieutenant Jan van Speyk. Jan Carolus Josephus van Speijk blew up his own ship to prevent it from falling into the hands of Belgian revolutionaries at Antwerp on February 5, 1831. The tower was electrified in 1922 and completely renovated in 1968 after being declared as a rijksmonument (National Heritage Site of the Netherlands). The lighthouse is open to public visits by appointment and is located on the seaside boulevard at the foot of Van Speijkstraat in Egmond aan Zee (52°37′8″N 4°37′18″E).
Cape Leeuwin is the most south-westerly mainland point of the Australian Continent, in the state of Western Australia. The first known ship to have visited this area is the Leeuwin ("Lioness"), a Dutch vessel that charted some of the nearby coastline in 1622. The 39 m (128 ft.) round limestone tower was first lit on December 1, 1896 and is one of Australia's best known lighthouses. It stands at the end of a narrow peninsula with spectacular views of the Indian Ocean to the north and the Southern Ocean to the south.
The light was totally manually operated until 1982 when it was converted to electricity replacing the clockwork mechanism & kerosene burner, one of the last in the world. Automated in September 1992, it also serves as an important automatic weather station. Originally unpainted, the tower had the natural stone color of Tamala limestone and in 2003, after being completely renovated, was painted white. Guided tours are conducted daily at the lighthouse and visitors can climb the 186 steps and seven floors to achieve the gallery and a wonderful view of the cape.
The island of Sylt is located on the German North Sea coast, in the area known as North Frisia, near the Danish border. North Frisia is part of Schleswig-Holstein, Germany's northernmost state. This area was ruled by Denmark until 1864. There are three surviving lighthouses established under Danish rule on the island of Sylt. The List West Lighthouse is one of these lighthouses built in 1858 by the Danish government to guide ships through the channel between Sylt and the adjacent (and still Danish) island of Rømø. The 11 m (36 ft) white cast iron tower is the northernmost lighthouse in Germany and also the oldest lighthouse on the west coast of Schleswig-Holstein. Automated in 1977, the light is located at a long sand spit which is a protected natural area, at the northwest corner of the island. 55° 03` 10" N 008° 24` 05" E
The Batz Island Lighthouse is located is located towards the western tip of the island (48° 44' 46" N 04° 01' 39" W) and was built between 1832 and 1836. The 43 m (141 ft) round stone tower rises from the center of a 1-story stone keeper's house and was inaugurated on October 10, 1836. Electrified in 1939 and automated in 1995, the lighthouse offers an extraordinary panoramic view after climbing up its 198 steps to the balcony. Its lantern is located at 67 meters (219 ft) above sea level and has a range of 42km (23 mi).