Saturday, February 16, 2013
Vlieland is one of the West Frisian Islands lying in the Wadden Sea, in the northern Netherlands. The Vuurduin Lighthouse is located at the Vuurboetsduin (Beaconfire Dune), the highest elevation (42 meters) on the island (53°17′45″N 5°03′30″E).
In November 1836 a light station was established in Vlieland, but in 1909 it was decided that the tower had to be replaced by a larger one. The present lighthouse was constructed using the upper portion of the 1879 IJmuiden Front Lighthouse. The upper 16 meters of the mainland tower were unscrewed and moved to Vlieland, to be placed on a new foundation. Simultaneously with the tower were also the optics and lamp which were first lit on March 22, 1909. The 17 m round red cast iron tower is attached to an observation tower built in 1929. The site is open daily and is accessible by ferry from Harlingen. Bus transportation is provided on Vlieland since visitors cannot bring vehicles to the island.
Cape Ashizuri is the southernmost point of Shikoku island and is part of Ashizuri-Uwakai National Park. The cape is covered by subtropical plants and features gorgeous ocean views from stunning 80 m high granite cliffs. The Ashizuri Lighthouse is a round cylindrical concrete tower first lit on April 1st, 1914 (32° 43.0' N 133° 1.0' E). The 18m (59ft.) white lighthouse is peppered with bullet holes received from the U.S. navy toward the end of WWII. It is still active and the light reaches 20.5 nautical miles (about 38 km) far.
The Queen Charlotte Islands (now known officially by the native name Haida Gwaii) lie off the northern coast of British Columbia, separated from Alaska to the north by the broad Dixon Entrance and from the British Columbia mainland to the east by Hecate Strait. Langara Island is the northernmost Island of the archipelago located approximately 45 km (28 mi) south of Alaska.
The Langara Point Lighthouse was built in 1913 and is located atop a scenic bluff on the northwest corner of Langara Island (54° 15' 23" N, 133° 3' 29" W). The 7.5 m (25 ft.) hexagonal concrete 6-ribbed tower is a manned lighthouse and the original light, still in use today, is a first-order Fresnel lens (the only one of its size still in service in Canada). The station is actively involved in numerous scientific projects for the World Meteorological Organization (W.M.O), the Canadian Wildlife Service, the Vancouver Public Aquarium, as well as water sampling and tsunami warning for the Institute of Ocean Sciences (I.O.S). Provides marine and aviation weather as well as seismograph service. This station's remote location makes it particularly important for Search and Rescue and communications.
The Matsu archipelago contains 19 islands located in the Taiwan Strait, far closer to China's southern coast than to Taiwan. Still, they are part of Taiwan politically. Matsu's geographical placement has necessarily made it a place first and foremost dedicated to military affairs, specifically defense of Taiwan from the People's Republic of China. Outside the military bases, Matsu is open to tourism.
Dongju (Dongjyu) Islet is 2.63 square kilometers and is at the southernmost end of the Matsu archipelago. Here it is the Dongjyu Lighthouse: the 19.5 m (64 ft) round cylindrical granite tower constructed during the Ching Dinasty by English engineers. The lighthouse was first lit on August 8, 1872 and is located atop a hill on the northeastern point of the island.
Heligoland is a small German archipelago in the south-eastern corner of the North Sea, 46 kilometers (29 mi) off the German coastline, consisting of two islands: Hauptinsel (main island) and the Düne. In 1811, when Heligoland was under British rule, the first lighthouse on the island had been built by Trinity House. The construction of the new lighthouse had been ordered by the Prussian administration in 1902. This lighthouse was in service from 1902 until April 18, 1945, when the tower was destroyed by the Royal Air Force during a bombing raid.
The present lighthouse was actually built in 1941 as an antiaircraft observation tower; somehow it escaped the bombing and survived to be converted into a lighthouse in 1952. The 35 m (115 ft.) square 9-story steel and concrete building was first lit on May 24, 1952. It features the strongest light on the German North Sea coast with a range of 28 nautical miles (52 km). The top of the building is also crowded with communications and radar antennas. The top of the building is also crowded with communications and radar antennas. The building serves as a ship traffic control center. 54°10′54.6″N 7°52′56.5″E